Chapter 8: Her answer

In Gauri's class

Gauri walked in to her class and sat on her seat still not able to overcome the shock she had. Although she closed her mouth, her eyes were shot wide open. She couldn't even look around herself or remind herself that people are looking at her. For her, it was like the world around had stood frozen in time.

She fliched as she felt someone pat on her back. She turned her head to the person and saw that it was Anika.

"Ri? What happened?" Anika asked a little concerned "You look like you just saw a ghost!"

"Ghost was better than this.." Gauri mumbled to herself as she continues to stare ahead.

"What happened Ri?" Anika asked as she sat down next to her. "I missed bus for one morning and you come to class  looking like you just walked out of a horror movie! What's wrong?"

Seeing that her friend wasn't going to reply, she took her water bottle and started drinking water to prepare herself for having a word battle with Gauri.

"Omkara proposed me." Gauri whispered.
Anika eyes bulged out of her socket and she spit out the water in her mouth as she exclaimed, "WHAT!?" Some of the water splashed on her desk while she choked on the rest, coughing as the water entered her system in all the wrong places. Then she looked at her desk with a helpless look as the water spread throughout her desk. Gauri immediately got up and ran her hands through Anika's back trying to calm her.

"Anika are you alright?" Some of the students around them asked and Anika just absent mindedly nodded at them with an embarrassed smile. She was still thinking about the shocking revealation Gauri had just announced to her!

Then turning her attention back to Gauri, she whisper-asked, "What did you just say?!"

"He proposed me.." Gauri repeated, now feeling nervous.

"What the.." Anika muttered in disbelief. "You mean Omkara? Prinku's brother Omkara? The-don't-call-me-bhaiya-wala Omkara? "

"Yeah" Gauri replied, now irritated, "How many other Omkaras do you even know!?"

"Only one..." Anika mumbled trying to overcome the shock, "Paedophile!"

Gauri looked at her friend with raised eyebrows while Anika just shrugged. "He is a paedophile! He's almost an adult and your so young!"

Although they were teenagers now, for Anika, Gauri was like her little sister, someone way younger than her.

For some reason Gauri wanted to tell her she was wrong, that love didn't look at all that but then the thought of defending him seemed so stupid to her brain, plus, she had nothing to counter her with.

"I still can't believe it..." Anika mumbled, "Now I know why he didn't let us call him bhaiya! All this while he had eyes on you! My instinct was right! He even flirted with you many times.."

When Gauri looked at her in pure confusion, Anika realised that it never crossed Gauri that he tried flirting with her. God! She was too innocent!
"Remember Valentine's day?" Anika asked recalling the incident. "He was asking you about your date and all, he even gave you a chocolate without Priyanka knowing it!"

Gauri looked on in surprise as it all finally made sense to her. Him teasing her, asking her to not call him bhaiya, the chocolates, the way he looked at her, how he would always try to talk to her....

"What exactly did he say?" Anika asked breaking Gauri from her trance.

Gauri narrated everything to Anika while Anika's eyes widened in shock, "Look at his audacity!" She grumbled after hearing the whole story. "What will you tell him now?"