Chapter 9: Date

"I can't marry you Gauri." He replied when she finished narrating and Gauri stood frozen thinking if she heard it wrong. She felt her heart break into a million pieces. "I'm sorry."

"Wha..?"

"I can't marry you." Omkara repeated. "Gauri, I told you the decision had to be yours. You did this because of pressure and that's not right. You should decide what your heart wants, not what people around you want you to do. Gauri, I don't want you to choose me because you don't have a choice, I want you to choose me because I am your choice."

Relief washed over her as his words sank in. She couldn't help but smile a little hearing his words. "Will you believe me if I say that I made this choice with my heart?" Gauri asked with a sort smile, "I know it's confusing but my heart trusts you more than any guy I've ever known."

"I don't understand.. you mean you...you want to marry me? That I am your choice?" Omkara asked surprised.

"Yes..." Gauri replied. "But I want to meet you somewhere. I think you should know a few things in my heart. After listening to that you decide if you still want to marry me."

After their call was over, Gauri  sat on her bed and took in a deep breath as she recalled the rest of the memory of the day he had first confessed to her.

Flashback

Omkara entered the bus and saw that both Anika and Gauri were sitting together. But unlike every other day, she didn't smile at him. Infact, she didn't even spare a glance at him which made him feel guilty about confessing his feelings.

It seemed like even luck wasn't on his side because all the seats around her were already occupied by other students.
Around half the bus ride later when most of the students had gotten off, he found Gauri coming towards his seat. He sat frozen unable to predict what she was about to do or say.

"Omkara." She called him as she sat on the seat infront of him. It wasn't the gentle sweet call like everytime, but instead it had a glint of accusation. "Did you really mean what you said today morning?"

"Yeah..." Omkara replied, not wanting to lie to her.
"So you need my answer?" Gauri asked hesitatingly.

"I know your answer will be no, but still I'd like to hear it from you." He replied softly.

"If you know my answer, then why do you want me to say it?" She asked nervously.

"Because I'd like to hear it from your mouth."

"But..how can you...love...me..?" Gauri asked.

Omkara had no answer to her question, so he simply asked,"Is it a yes or a no..?" as he dreaded the answer.

"No..." Gauri replied softly, not meeting his eyes. Omkara closed his eyes and tried to shutdown the heartbreak he felt. He knew what was coming, he had prepared for it but guess no one could ever be prepared enough for a heartbreak.

Not wanting his emotions to hurt her anymore, he just sighed softly.
"I'm sorry.." Gauri said softly as she saw the hurt in his eyes, it killed her to hurt someone's feelings or break their hope, but as Anika had said, she had to close this, she couldn't give him hopes. But for some reason, she felt like she was committing a crime, like this was all wrong.

"Heyyy!!" Omkara stopped her, "What are you sorry for? Whatever I said, leave it. We're still friends right?" He asked as he didn't want her to feel bad for speaking the truth about her feelings.

Gauri looked at him surprised and nodded in reflex. "I..have to..go back to Anika.." she said after a long pause and Omkara nodded.

"How did it to?" Anika asked as Gauri sat down on the seat.