CHAPTER XVI

August 25TH

Percy

I knew the woman in front of us was a goddess, I was pretty sure I had met her before, but I couldn't remember where exactly, also, goddesses used to change their appearances way too often.

Nico bowed to her quickly. I was sure to give her a quick nod, away from me to get on the bad side of another goddess, mainly one who obviously was here to give us a quest. Shit, did father agreed to this?

I knew that eventually I would have to go to quests. I was hoping it would be only for dad, and not this soon.

"Greetings, Lady Hecate," said Nico

Oh! That one.

"Greetings, heroes"

"Its kinda early, what's this about?" I let slip. Shit

The goddess furrowed her lips, annoyed.

Strike 1

Chiron quickly cleared his throat

"Percy, Nico, Lady Hecate here, came forward with a demand. She needs both of you for a quest."

"I have already submitted a formal request to both your patrons" she said looking pointedly at me. "And they have accepted my request. You are both to serve me, there are trouble in the magical world"

"Magical world?" I regretted asking

"My world, of course"

"Ah, of course!!" I said sarcastically

She looked at me for a second then rolled her eyes.

Strrrike 2!

Nico quietly put his hands in the small of my back, calming me a bit.

I am used to get snappy in these situations.

"Eons ago, shortly after the first Titan war, mortals thrived under the Olympians rule, and settle in villages all around the world. Even then, there was those who practice magic and sorcery, of course they were all charlatans, but plenty of them prayed to me. I had many names as they were spread across the world and I decided to gifted the more faithful ones with true magic. A different kind of magic used by my descendants or the descendants of my children, or even my creations, those who uses mist manipulation. I gave them an innate magical power which they could convert in ways of magic.

Their children were born with magic, since it became part of them. And after millennia, they grew in numbers.

Today they live in hiding, you must have heard of the witch hunts back in the 13th century, after that they withdrew from society. They have settlements, schools, laws, ruling governments, even sports festivals. They have their own hidden society."

I wasn't expecting an explanation, but I actually grew interested.

"But in every society, there is those who seek power, no matter the means or who they kill to achieve it"

Naturally

"So, you want us to deal with them?" Asked Nico

"No, this particularly one is already dead, I want you to keep it that way"

"What?? How??" asked Nico outraged.

I guess the idea of anyone cheating death is a sore spot to underworld deities, even to a demigod from there.

"You see, nearly twenty years ago, a prophecy was issued..." Chills ran down my spine

"...The dark wizard tried to avoid said prophy which foretold his demise, in trying to avoid it, he ensured the existence of the prophecy, and who was the one to destroy him. In the process he had his body destroyed and part of his powers transferred to the child he tried to kill."