v

song: fight fire with fire - metallica

3rd pov

"why are you always hanging around professor snape? isn't he always a jerk?" dante asked.

he and y/n were walking to their first class, which they had together.

"he's actually not so bad when you get to know him. i think he's just antisocial," y/n explained, walking into their class.

y/n got shoulder checked by a slytherin student, who turned around and smiled bitterly at him.

"it sounds like you have a crush on professor snape," the slytherin boy said, "do you like men, y/n?"

y/n glared at him. "that's none of your business."

a look of disgust washed over the slytherin boy's face and he walked out of the classroom.

dante stood there and blinked, confused by the whole situation.

"you didn't tell him no," dante began, turning to look at y/n, who'd gone stiff, "do you really swing that way?"

y/n sighed and look at dante, but didn't say anything. dante turned his gaze away from y/n awkwardly and they both walked to their desks without speaking to one another.

at the end of class, dante turned to look at y/n, but found he had already left.

***

y/n left his class as fast as possible to avoid dante. he was positive that once dante knew of his sexuality, he wouldn't want to be his friend anymore.

walking through the halls of hogwarts was a challenge of it's own. he was now the talk of the school for a different reason. word that he had a thing for men spread like wildfire, and he'd never even confirmed such a thing to be true.

he was especially mad, because he didn't even do anything that could really deem him gay. it was just a stupid slytherin boy jumping at the chance to be a bigot.

y/n was sick to his stomach now. he didn't want to go to his next class, knowing that all eyes would be on him. the whispers he could hear would be about him. he took a hard left and entered an empty room, then apparated to the school courtyard.

because everyone was in class, it was empty. he walked to the small fountain in the center and sat down by it, resting his chin on the cool marble. he dipped his finger into the cool water and sighed.

***

snape was growing more and more irritable by the minute. the students in his class were murmuring every chance they got.

"word is that y/n is gay," he heard a student whisper.

"l/n?" the other student asked.

"yeah, y/n l/n."

snape slammed his book shut, causing everyone to look up at him.

"what about mr. l/n?" snape asked slowly, staring stoically at the student.

"well, we heard that he's gay," the student said, practically shrinking into his seat.

"and what if he is? is there something wrong with that?" snape asked.

"well— well it's being gay, professor— that's not right," the boy said, fiddling with his fingers.

snape was almost glaring at the student now.

"i will not tolerate homophobia in this classroom, nor will headmaster dumbledore tolerate it in his school," snape began, walking down the isle of desks to stand in front of the student.

"if you allow yourself to remain uneducated and you continue to spread rumors and misinformation, i will have you punished accordingly," snape threatened.

the boy nodded, gulping.

"that goes for all of you, whether or not i hear about it inside this classroom or outside. if you continue to spread those rumors, i will know," snape said.

the room was dead silent.

snape inhaled deeply and walked back up to the podium at the front of the class.

"now, turn to page 474 in your textbooks, we will be reviewing different potion ingredients for your upcoming quiz next week."

***

unsurprisingly, y/n did not show up to his potions class. or any other class at all for that entire day. nobody saw him anywhere.

dante was growing worried, afraid that he ran off somewhere and got hurt. that was least likely the case, but his mind wanders too much for his own good.

he wrote a quick letter and sent it off with his owl, giving it the task to deliver it to y/n. he then followed it, hoping it would lead him to y/n.

it flew out to the courtyard, and everything clicked. y/n usually went to the courtyard when he was feeling down, so it would make sense that he was over there.

dante was walking there when he heard voices yelling. he saw y/n getting held by two 7th years as another was throwing punches as his stomach.

dante's owl flew back to him and he held out his arm for it to land.

"go get professor snape and lead him back here," dante said, lifting his arm so his owl could fly off.

he then ran towards the 7th years, tackling the one punching y/n. they crashed to the ground and wrestled.

the other two 7th years let go of y/n to help get dante off of the other boy, who dante recognized as the boy who started the rumor in the first place.

y/n was quick to pull one of the boys back and throw him to the ground, jumping on top of him and immediately landing heavy punches to his face.

the other seventh year grabbed him by the hair and yanked him back, pulling his fist back to punch him.

"enough!" a voice shouted.

y/n immediately recognized it as snape's voice, already feeling relieved.

snape cast a spell that launched the 7th year away from him, while also launching him off of the 7th year he was on top of.

he landed on the grassy ground with a thump, but was was quick to stand up. he panted, finally becoming aware of the piercing ache in his lip. he brought a finger to his lip and pulled it back when it stung. his finger was now covered in blood, and he became aware of the warm crimson he could feel dripping down his cheek.

he turned and saw dante on the ground and helped him up, wrapping his arm around his shoulder to help him stay standing.

snape was angrily walking towards all five of them. two of the seventh years were unconscious, the other one curled up on the ground, holding his face.

"l/n. get dante and those two to the infirmary. then i expect to see you in the headmaster's office," snape said coldly, grabbing the conscious 7th year and apparating away.

y/n swallowed hard and dragged the 7th years so that they were on top of each other, then put one hand on them and on hand on dante. he apparated to the infirmary, startling madam pomphrey as she sat at her desk.

she scoffed down at the pile of injured boys and sighed, giving a stern glare to y/n.

"why is it when someone is injured, you're somehow involved," pomphrey said, standing up from her desk.

"that is a valid question, miss, but i think i'm in deep trouble right now, so i've got to get going," y/n said, and just like that he was gone.

i love violence ❤️❤️❤️