xiv

3rd pov

the vibes of y/n's classes were different the next day. the students were trying to be sneaky, whispering to each other, passing notes, and so on. y/n paid no mind to it at first, doing his best to just ignore it and continue on with his lesson. but when it got to the point where nobody was even paying attention anymore, he sighed and went quiet.

y/n watched as a student passed a note back to hermione, who opened it and gasped, causing harry and ron to look at the letter. all three of them got guilty looks on their faces. y/n silently cast the summoning spell, and the note flung from hermione's hands into his fingers. he read the mischievous letters and hummed, his eyebrows raised.

he looked up at the class, who now silently watched him in horror. he turned the card around to show the lettering.

"professor l/n likes professor snape!"

the note read.

it was a very childish note, and maybe y/n would've been upset by it had he been much younger, but he'd grown past being bothered by those things. he actually found the note kind of funny, but he couldn't show that and encourage the behavior.

"harry, ron, hermione," y/n said, calling on them only because they looked the most guilty.

they all gulped, staring at him.

"i'll be seeing you three after class," he said.

***

the rest of the class had been tense and silent, and y/n liked it no more than everyone else in the classroom.

now, the three gremlins stood in front of him, about to explode from anxiety.

he held the note up. "explain."

hermione practically exploded. "i have no idea how it got out! all i did was make a couple observations about you two to harry and ron, and the next day it was all over school! someone must've eavesdr—"

hermione paused, her mouth falling open, an almost scandalized expression on her face. she turned to harry, and it's like she telepathically told him something, because soon enough his expression was the same. ron stood there oblivious to it.

"malfoy," harry said lowly, glaring at the wall.

"what? how do you know malfoy started it?" y/n asked.

"because he's mafloy. he's always been a conniving little rat," hermione said, folimg her arms.

ron turned to her with his eyebrows raised, shocked by her aggression towards malfoy.

"well," y/n said, also shocked by hermione, "i'm going to look and see if there's a spell i can cast to see wrote the note. by tomorrow we'll know if malfoy was involved."

the three children looked to each other. hermione looked to him slowly.

"professor... if you don't mind me asking," hermione paused, then looked all around the room and the windows to check if anyone was there. when she didn't see anyone, she turned back to y/n and leaned in real close. she whispered to him, "do you like men? like, like them?"

the boys also leaned in, eager to hear y/n's answer. y/n smiled and leaned in.

"i don't see as to why that's any of your guys' business," y/n said.

all of the kids deflated and sighed.

"we understand," ron said, turning around. the other two nodded and turned with him slowly trudging out of the room.

once they were out of ear shot, y/n turned to the open window of his classroom.

"it's rude to eavesdrop. didn't your parents ever teach you that, mr. malfoy?" y/n asked, making his way towards the window.

he looked out of it and saw draco running away from the window. with just a slight flick with his wand, he tugged on draco's pant leg, causing the boy face plant.

"ugh!" draco a grunted, picking himself up off of the ground, his uniform now stained green and brown from the grass and dirt. he scoffed and wiped his hands off, then turned around back to y/n's classroom window, seeing the said professor cackling.

draco huffed and stomped away, the palms of his hands and his knees sore from falling.

y/n watched the boy stomp away, still laughing to himself a bit.

"you won't think it's funny when lucius comes in here, furious at you for tripping his boy."

y/n turned around and saw severus there, dark as usual.

"you must have been bored the eight years i wasn't here," y/n said, turning back around to lean on the window sill and look out at the forest, "all you do is bother me."

"it's payback for spending all of your free time in my classroom when you were my student," severus said, coming up beside y/n to look out the window with him.

y/n looked at him, slightly shocked at how close severus was. severus stared into the forest, a peaceful expression befalling his features. for someone as dark and brooding as severus, y/n thought, he really did have gentle features.

the soft, downward curve of his nose, his eyes that seemed to hold a thousand years of sadness. and then those eyes were staring back at him, but y/n didn't look away. y/n pushed off of the window sill stand up all the way, now face to face with severus.

y/n glanced down when he felt a hand gently grasp his forearm.

"y/n," severus began, his gaze drifting from y/n's eyes down his face, settling on his lips that were bitten red.

y/n looked at severus, feeling his cheeks go warm at the man's intense gaze. he licked his lips, watching as severus followed the action, then swallowed.

he turned his body to fully face severus, who did the same. they were leaning into each other, their the chests together. severus cradled y/n's forearms, y/n gently holding onto severus's biceps.

y/n took in a shaky breath and leaned forward less than a centimeter.

"severus, i—"

"good evening, professors."

they looked to the side and saw dumbledore stepping into the room.

y/n tore himself away from severus so fast he stumbled backwards. severus was quick to grab his arms and stabilize him, then drew away slowly, a bit of a sad look on his face.

dumbledore looked at the two, realizing he'd interrupted something intimate between the two. he silently cursed himself for doing so.

"i suspected you'd be here, severus," dumbledore said, "but i can come back at a better time. what i need to discuss isn't that important."

"we can discuss it now," severus said, glancing back to y/n briefly before walking out of the room with dumbledore.

y/n stood there, processing what had just happened. he and severus were so close to... but he pulled away so fast. he pulled away as if he was ashamed. was he ashamed?

y/n ran a shaky hand through his hair and sighed, grabbing his cane and leaving his classroom.

as he walked down the corridors, he thought to himself. maybe he read everything wrong. when y/n pulled away, maybe severus wasn't upset because he thought y/n was ashamed of him, maybe it was because he knew he didn't return the same feelings.

that had to be it. severus had never demonstrated anything that ever said he had a romantic interest in y/n. y/n sighed at himself, feeling stupid. he'd probably put severus on the spot. merlyn, how dumb was he? he had to apologize, soon.

he unlocked the door to his quarters, quick to write a letter to severus and send it on its way.

didn't proofread this aha anyways, i've made a discord server so i can interact with y'all 🤭🤭🤭

https://discord.gg/FTeNZEq3nj

if the link doesnt work, PM me on here with your discord user and i'll send you a friend request 💅 then i'll send you an invite there