xv

3rd pov

y/n spent the rest of the night in his room, nervous and anticipating the knock at his door that he hoped would come.

when he did hear the knock, he sat up from the edge of his bed so fast it had hurt his leg. he hissed and brought his hand to his hip, taking a few deep breaths, waiting for the pain to subside.

he grabbed his cane and walked to the door, opening it. severus stood there, an apprehensive look on his face.

"hello, severus," y/n said, already breathless at the sight of him.

"good evening, y/n," severus said, calm and collected.

y/n opened his door wider, gesturing for snape to enter.

"i wanted to start by... apologizing," y/n said, closing the door and using it as a reason to avoid looking at severus.

"for what?" severus asked.

y/n turned around to face severus, but didn't meet his eyes. "for what happened in the classroom, i— i put you on the spot and i misread things."

"i see," severus said, stepping closer to y/n.

y/n's leg was becoming more and more aggravated as he stood there, so he moved to sit on his bed.

"you've heard the rumors, haven't you?" y/n asked as severus took a seat beside him.

"which ones? there are many," severus asked, though he knew which ones.

"that we have a more than friendly relationship," y/n sighed, dragging a hand through his hair. "i don't even know how it got out that i'm gay, and you're straight, so why are they even considering that?"

severus raised an eyebrow. "when did i ever say that i was straight?"

y/n's head shot up and he stared at severus in pure shock. "you're not?" he asked softly.

severus shook his head curtly, then turned his gaze away.

"why did you never tell me? it would have been nice to know, i don't know, years ago?" y/n said, slightly surprised.

severus scooted a tiny bit closer to y/n and looked into his eyes, their faces less than a foot apart.

"you never asked, y/n. and why would it have been nice to know?" severus asked, his voice low.

y/n sighed and looked away a bit, pouting. "i got bullied for that. it would have been nice to know i wasn't alone, then."

"i apologize for not telling you sooner," severus said, using two fingers to turn y/n's face back to his.

y/n's cheeks immediately grew hot, and there was a hitch in his breath.

"i have not overlooked the long stares i've received from you. i have not missed the way you react when we touch," severus said, leaning closer. "frankly, it was quite annoying how you never seemed to notice i was the same with you."

"severus, i—" y/n began, but shut his mouth, not knowing what to say.

"answer this question," severus said, their faces barely three inches apart. y/n could feel his breath on his lips, "how would you feel if we were 'more than friendly' with each other and made those rumors true?"

y/n swallowed. "severus..." was all he could muster, mouth going dry. he glanced down at severus' mouth, but quickly looked back up.

"well?" severus asked, pulling away from y/n a bit.