xix

3rd pov

it was now dawning on y/n that his position as a professor at hogwarts was only temporary. his contract ended when the school year did. there were 4 weeks left before the students were released for summer break, and y/n dreaded it. he didn't want to leave hogwarts, didn't want to leave severus.

he was sitting at his desk in his office, chewing on his lip. a quill rested between his fingers as he stared blankly at the papers on his desk. he dropped the quill and dropped his face into his hands, sighing. he yawned, his eyes burning with exhaustion.

he stood up quickly, his chair scratching against the ground as it was pushed back. he tidied up his desk and then grabbed his cane, stepping towards the door. he stopped when he sensed presence approach from behind it. he made his way to the door and opened it, sighing in relief when he saw severus.

"hey," y/n said softly, leaning on the door frame.

"bonjour," severus replied, pecking y/n's cheek as he walked into the office, plopping down onto y/n's chair.

"what are you doing?" y/n asked, amused.

"i'm bored. entertain me," severus replied, picking up a rock y/n kept on his desk to use as a paper weight.

"i was just leaving," y/n said, pushing off of the door frame.

severus sighed, "but i've already walked all the way here."

"if you really want me to entertain you, we're doing it in my room. and don't take that out of context," y/n said, turning around and walking out of his office.

"i have no idea what you're talking about. take what out of context?" severus asked.

"uh-huh," y/n replied. he smiled to himself, but got lost in his thoughts as he began making his way down the hall.

"what have you got on your mind?" severus asked, catching up to y/n and falling in pace with him.

"a lot," y/n replied, looking upwards, "the year is almost over, and i'm only a temporary teacher. i don't want to leave hogwarts."

"well you don't have to, i'm sure dumbledore would be on board with you becoming the permanent defence against the dark arts teacher," severus said.

"i don't want to be the dark arts teacher any longer than i have to be, it's too reminiscent of being an auror," y/n said, looking at the ground, "i'd like to be a music teacher or something, but there's only one choral class and that position is filled."

"you could ask to create an entirely new class, if you wanted. i'm sure dumbledore would love to," severus said.

"yeah, maybe," y/n said, sighing. he got a far away look in his eye, getting lost in thought.

"there's something else on your mind," severus stated, looking at y/n.

y/n sighed again and looked up. "the anniversary is soon."

severus's eyebrows furrowed. "anniversary of what?"

y/n swallowed hard and didn't reply.

"oh," severus said, realizing. it was around this time of year that y/n's parents were murdered.

"did you ever find out who did it?" severus asked.

y/n laughed bitterly, unlocking his door with his wand as they approached it. "yeah, i did."

severus was curious, but didn't want to press the matter, especially at a time like now. y/n would tell him on his own time.

y/n was tense, and he released a long breath to try and ease the tension. he shrugged off his robe and hung it up, then took off his suit coat and loosened his tie. he untucked his shirt and loosened the clasp of his trousers, immediately sighing as his clothes became less restricting.