xvii

3rd pov

y/n's eyes flew open. it was pitch dark in the room. he'd been in a half-asleep state for who knows how long, not enough asleep to be resting, but not enough awake to pull himself out of it. he was fully awake now, though. he could hear the soft breaths of severus beside him, a rhythmic inhale and exhale.

y/n rolled onto his side to face severus, scooting closer to him and grabbing the comforter to pull it onto himself more. he snuggled up to severus, dozing off once again.

***

y/n eyes opened again a few hours later and he sighed. he could feel the burn in his eyes from being so tired, so he was even more pissed that his body woke him up every few hours despite that.

the room was no longer pitch black, but rather a dim blue, the sun barely beginning to rise. he yearned for just a bit more sleep, so he let his eyes flutter shut once again.

***

"y/n."

y/n eyes shot open. it was light in the room now, the sun fully up. severus was sitting up in the bed, staring down at him.

"a heavy sleeper this morning, are you?" severus asked, lifting his hand to brush hair from y/n's eyes.

"yeah, i guess," y/n said, trying to rub the tired out of his eyes, "i didn't sleep very well."

"another nightmare?" severus asked.

"no. i just kept waking up every couple of hours," y/n replied, sitting up.

severus just nodded. they sat there in silence for awhile, y/n staring at his hands in his lap, severus staring at y/n.

"i'm tired, severus," y/n sighed, the weight of his own body almost too much for him, "it's been over a year since the accident— since i've had to pursue and be pursued by the death eaters— yet... they still haunt me."

severus folded his hands into his lap and took a deep breath.

"i wish there was more i could do to ease your turmoil, but all i can do is stay beside you," he said, pulling y/n into his arms.

y/n sighed and wrapped his arms around severus. "and that's all i need."

***

"since it's saturday, our work hour is shortened. we won't have time for a full lesson, so instead we're going to do a little anatomy study," y/n said, rubbing the tiredness out of his eyes.

he held up his wand and levitated a stack of books off of his desk, sending them all out to the students.

"turn to page 126, please," y/n instructed.

there were a few groans from the students, but they obeyed.

"now on this page is a diagram of the abdomen, one of most vital places in your body, and something you want to protect at all costs," y/n said, a larger projection of the diagram behind him. he pointed to the diaphragm.

"this is the diaphragm, a muscle in your body that allowes your lungs to contract and expand. without your diaphragm, you can't breathe," y/n said, looking at the students, who were all attentive, surprisingly. "now, what do you think would happened if you were to take a blow to your diaphragm?"

hermione grander raised her hand.

"ms. granger, please." y/n nodded towards her.

"the diaphragm spasms and tenses, which knocks the air out of the lungs," hermione said, her eyes glittering.

"correct, ms. granger. now, when the air is knocked out of your lungs and you can't breathe, it's very hard to do anything but focus on how bad it hurts. and if you're fighting someone, this gives them the opportunity to do whatever they want to you, including killing you."

y/n looked at the students, who looked nervous now. they shuffled in their seats and looked at one another.

"now, sitting just behind your diaphragm is a bundle of nerves called the solar plexus, which is why it hurts so bad to get hit there," y/n, glancing at the clock and realizing that there was only 5 minutes left of the class.

"having knowledge of the body and where getting hurt is lethal and where it isn't is the barrier between life and death. knowing what to do if you or an ally were ever fatally injured could save a life." y/n closed his textbook and smiled at the children. "i hope this helps you understand why i find it so important that you're all aware of how your bodies work. have a good day."

the bell chimed and all of the students got up out of their seats, packing away their things and leaving. y/n sighed and gathered his own things, leaving the classroom to head to his small office. all he had to do today was lesson plan for the next week, and then he was free to do whatever he wanted for the weekend.

***

and so, with his lessons planned and homework graded, y/n was a free man. he walked down the school corridor, a content smile on his face. he entered the hogwarts library, this being the first time in 8 years. he strolled along the isles of the library, skimming the book titles and looking for one that sparked his interest.

as he was doing so, he felt a familiar presence on the other side of the book shelf. he smiled softly and pulled a book off, looking through the gap and seeing black eyes staring straight back at him.

"hello, severus," y/n lilted, a teasing smile playing at his lips. he watched severus's gaze trail downwards to them, and he licked them just to tease.

severus hummed, the corner of his mouth twitching upwards. y/n put the book back and apparated beside severus, causing him to jump slightly.

"don't do that," severus huffed, putting a book back on the shelf.

"what— startle you? i think it's funny," y/n said, leaning on the bookshelf and tilting his head to the side, knowing severus was onto his teasing.

"well it's not," severus argued, folding his arms and staring at y/n disinterestedly, even if he was anything but.

y/n knew this of course, knew that severus's apathy was his own way of teasing, his own way of driving y/n crazy. and it worked, because y/n was screaming inside for severus to react to him, react to the proximity, react to his tongue that was swiping over his still moist lips from the last time he'd done it. and then y/n just couldn't take it anymore, so he grabbed severus by the collar and yanked him forward, crashing their lips together.

severus tensed up immensely, eyes blown wide as he wasn't expecting y/n to be so bold. but soon enough his eyes fluttered closed and he melted into y/n's warm touch, releasing their lips only to interlock them again immediately after.

that's when severus got the idea. an evil idea. he pushed against y/n with even more fervor, hands finding themselves at y/n's clothed sides. y/n wrapped his arms around severus's shoulders and responded with a hum, laughing lightly at how well severus reponded, unaware of what severus was really planning.

severus kissed y/n stupid, pecking and mouthing at every inch of open skin there was, becoming more confident as y/n couldn't hold in his little sounds anymore.

and then severus yanked himself away so unexpectedly that y/n moved with him for half of it. y/n panted and stared at severus with half lidded eyes.

"why'd you stop?" y/n asked breathlessly, lips swollen and plump from being kissed so adamantly.

severus chuckled and moved in for one last peck before he pulled back and stared y/n straight in the eyes.

"i'm getting payback."

and then severus apparated away, eliciting a shout of surprise out of y/n. y/n stared incredulously at the empty space where severus was just standing. before he burst into a fit of laughter.

so, funny story, guys...

i forgot to update lol

that's it— that's the funny story

hope u enjoyed today's chapter