xi

3rd pov

"before i start today's lesson, i want to ask one single question," y/n said, studying his students' faces. they all stared at him expectantly, especially harry potter.

"have any of you ever had any training in martial arts?" he asked.

one girl raised her hand hesitantly.

"and what did you train in, sierra?"

"karate and kickboxing," she said timidly.

y/n hummed. "and have you been taught what the weakest part of your body is? one that cannot be trained to become stronger?"

"the eyes and nose, professor," sierra answered.

"precisely," y/n said, smiling at sierra. "5 points to ravenclaw."

he heard a few sighs and groans from the other houses, but ignored them.

"now, you may be wondering why knowing something like this might be important," y/n stated, "you're here at hogwarts, you're here to learn magic. but in this class, you're here to learn how to defend yourself against the dark arts."

"right, so why do we need to learn about noses and eyes when we have magic?" ron weasley asked.

y/n smiled down at him. "well what if you don't have magic? what if your wand breaks, or someone steals it? how are you supposed to defend yourself?"

ron opened his mouth to speak, but closed it just as fast.

y/n caught harry's gaze and winked at him before turning around.

"in this unit we will be studying the human body and where it hurts most to get hit. we will be using little magic," y/n said. "today's lesson will be on the nose. how to hit it, where to hit it, and why it hurts so much to get hit there."

all y/n received was blank stares.

"and if this lesson goes well," y/n began, waving his wand as a dummy formed out of nowhere, "we'll practice on mr. dummy here."

that got the kids excited. what kid doesnt like violence? it was the perfect motivator.

***

the class was easy to work with and relatively eager to learn a more physical form of defense, and were able to get through the lesson quickly because of the excitement of beating up a dummy.

as y/n was demonstrating different moves that could be performed as self protection, severus stepped into the room. of course, y/n saw him out of the corner of his eye, but didn't stop demonstrating how to correctly hit the dummy.

"when you drive your palm into the nose, you don't want your arm to do all of the work. while it will still hurt the other person, it won't be as effective, and it can hurt you as well," y/n instructed, fixing draco malfoy's posture.

"put your body into it when you go to strike. don't just throw yourself at the dummy, obviously, but put enough weight into it so you have enough momentum to really injure the other person," y/n said, pantomiming the actions as he explained them.

draco nodded and took a deep breath, then pulled his hand back and then smacked the dummy's face with it, not listening to anything y/n had just said.

unimpressed, y/n turned to severus with a blank expression. severus stared back just as stoically.

"allow me to demonstrate, mr. malfoy," y/n said, gently pushing draco out of the way and setting down his cane.

y/n was quick to assume the correct stance, and like lighting he struck the dummy, sending it backwards with a surprising amount of force. the dummy tipped over and fell to the ground with a thud. y/n turned with smile and stared at the shocked platinum blond boy.

"like that, mr. malfoy," he said, smiling at draco.

he then turned to address the entire class. "i want all of you to practice striking the dummy for the remaining 5 minutes of class. each of you get in line and take turns."

y/n grabbed his cane and made his way to severus, who's expression showed that he, too, was impressed by y/n's demonstration.

"i've never seen a professor teach something that didn't involve magic," severus said, a pleasant lilt in his voice.

"i feel the ability to defend yourself with nothing but your body will be very important in the future." y/n said, watching his students practice. "i definitely had to resort to it more than once as an auror."

"like i said before, you teaching here is something hogwarts definitely needs. you might even teach the little brats some discipline, especially that potter boy," severus commented, staring at harry, who was practically bouncing as he waited his turn to strike the dummy.

"really? harry has been one of the most eager to learn so far." y/n said, watching severus through the corner of his eye. "severus, are you maybe —oh, i don't know— biased because of your history with his parents?"

severus took a deep breath and straightened his posture, staring y/n straight in the eyes. "of course not, i simply believe he needs to be taught a lesson or two."

"well, that's what he's here for." y/n shrugged. "anyways, have you stopped by for any particular reason, or have you just missed me?"

severus chuckled and folded his arms behind his back as he turned back to the children to avoid making eye contact with y/n.

"don't flatter yourself, y/n," severus chided, "i came here to make sure they weren't eating you alive in here."

y/n hummed as he smiled teasingly at severus, who still refused to look him in the eye.

"i appreciate the concern, severus, but it is not i who will be eaten alive," y/n said.

"oh, of course. so when the time comes and you need saving, you won't need me?" severus asked, smirking mischievously at y/n.

y/n scoffed. "when have i ever needed your help, severus?"

"i seem to recall you falling out of a tree and then bleeding all over my floor. did i not help you then?" severus stated.

"psshh, yeah, but it was still your fault i fell out of the tree in the first place," y/n said, glaring up at severus.

he couldn't keep up the facade, though, and broke into laughter. severus himself laughed a bit, y/n's happiness contagious.

i didn't proofread this lol if it's ass and there's typos.... well

lol