vi

song: u can't touch this - mc hammer

3rd pov

y/n apparated outside of dumbledore's office and knocked on the door. he still had blood dripping from his cheekbone and lip, but he chose to ignore it at this time.

"come in," he heard dumbledore say from behind the door.

y/n opened the door and peaked his head in, seeing the 7th year he beat up sitting in a chair, with dumbledore sitting adjacent to him. y/n's jaw immediately tightened when he made eye contact with the 7th year, who sneered back at him.

y/n stepped into the room fully and shut the door behind himself, then took a seat at the empty chair beside the 7th year.

"now," dumbledore began, folding his hands in his lap, "austin tells me that when he went to the courtyard, you were there. you then tried to hog the space in courtyard and tried to push him away. his friends came along and saw you arguing and tried to de-escalate the situation, which caused you to get violent and begin fighting them. that's when professor snape saw you and stopped the fight."

y/n's eyebrows were furrowed as he heard the entirely made up story.

"that's not what happened at all," he said, turning to glare at austin, who glared back.

"tell me your side of the story, then," dumbledore said, leaning back in his chair.

"i was in the courtyard, reading a letter my friend sent me when austin tore it out of my hands. he antagonized me and teased me, and when i tried to get the letter back and tell him to stop, he punched me in the stomach. his two other friends came up behind me and grabbed my arms and held me up while austin hit me over and over again.

"then my friend, the one who sent the letter, came and tackled austin away from me. that's when i began to fight back, because if i didn't, both dante and i would have been hurt way worse than we are now."

y/n took a shaky breath after his explanation and swallowed hard.

"was your letter sent by a brown and white owl?" professor snape asked.

y/n nodded. "it's dante's owl."

snape hummed and turned his gaze towards austin.

"you're lying," snape said to austin.

"no i'm not! i'm telling the truth!" austin insisted.

"l/n is the only one with evidence to back up his explanation. you never even mentioned a letter, or an owl. the owl is what led me to find you guys fighting," snape explained.

austin opened his mouth to argue, but then closed it and huffed.

"y/n, you will recieve one week of detention with professor snape," dumbledore said.

y/n sighed nodded, accepting his punishment.

"austin. you and your two friends are expelled," dumbledore said.

austin went slack jawed, staring at dumbledore in disbelief. he then whipped around to glare at y/n, who immediately felt threatened and stood up.

"this is all your fault!" austin said, lunging for y/n.

y/n moved out of the way. austin tripped over the leg of the chair and crashed into the wall of dumbledore's office. the hit to his head knocked him out cold, and an awkward, surprised silence filled the room.

"i didn't touch him," y/n said, raising his hands up in the air and turning to look at dumbledore and snape.

***

the week of detention with snape wasn't all that bad, just awkward. it was painfully obvious that snape had heard the rumors about y/n. of course he never mentioned it, but y/n could just tell.

the hour of detention mostly consisted of tidying up his classroom and following him around to help him carry things.

it was the last day of detention for y/n, and he was doing tomorrow's work for snape's class. snape was at the front of the class, sorting through papers and grading them.

"you know," snape started, looking up from his papers to y/n, "if it were up to me, i wouldn't have punished you at all for getting into that fight."

y/n looked up from his work, lips parting in surprise.

"i was unfortunate enough to be the target for bullies during my years as a student. if i had had the opportunity to fight back, i would have," snape explained.

"well, why didn't you?" y/n asked.

snape sighed, looking off a bit as he thought.

"it was a complicated situation. the girl i... well, she fancied my bully. i took the bullying as not to upset her," snape said.

y/n wanted grimace and tell professor snape that he was dumb for letting that happen to him, but this was the first time snape had ever told him anything about himself. y/n decided to be a little nicer on second thought.

"oh," y/n said, not knowing what to say, "well, did she stop liking him once she found out he was bullying you?"

"no," snape said flatly.

y/n looked down and cleared his throat, shuffling in his seat.

"she's gone now, no reason to dwell on it," snape said, but it seemed like he was telling himself that more than telling y/n.

"well, your bully probably never amounted to anything after he graduated," y/n said, trying to at least make snape feel better about it.

"he married her and became the father of harry potter, so i'd say he amounted to something," snape said, placing a book on the podium rather harshly.

y/n's mouth fell open. "you— you liked harry potter's mom?"

"like i said, she's gone now, so there's no reason to dwell," snape repeated.

"i guess," y/n said incredulously, taking the hint to drop the topic.

"i understand you're just trying to uplift my mood, but please don't feel obligated to do so," snape said.

y/n groaned and slumped in his chair dramatically.

"have you ever had anyone care about you? do you even know what it feels like to have someone care for you?" y/n asked, "you act as if you've been alone your whole life."

snape's silence told y/n everything he needed to know.

"...that's unfortunate," y/n said, beginning to collect his papers and file them away neatly in his bag, seeing as his hour of detention was over. "don't feel bad about it professor snape, there's someone out there for everyone. i don't know if they can top harry potter's mom, but i bet there's someone."

with that y/n left, leaving snape to contemplate his thoughts in the newfound silence.

hashtag slay of ke to remember to post

this was basicallt rhe talk between snape ans y/n:

snape: rhe only person i ever loved is dead

y/n: that's rough, buddy

y/n: ...

y/n: anyways—