xxvi

3rd pov

the expired weed, despite having almost no effect, succeeded in making y/n tired. so after he apparated  an unconscious dante home and cooked a small meal for himself and severus, he promptly passed out on the couch. he considered going up to his old bed, but sleeping with severus in his childhood bed would be... weird.

there are no dreams as he sleeps that night, which is something rather rare for him. perhaps it was the generational magic in the house that soothes him, or the security he felt within severus's arms. for whatever reason it is, he is thankful when he wakes up feeling well rested. his eyes don't burn like they usually do when he wakes up, and his body doesn't feel as heavy as lead.

y/n rolls off of the couch carefully, having no intention of waking severus up. he showers swiftly and dresses in comfy, but still presentable clothing, then leaves the home with nothing but his wand.

his first stop is the library just a little ways into town, intent on renewing his card and checking out a book, despite having his own extensive library at home. he enjoys the thought of a book being read and loved by so many people, by being able to participate in the memories that book will hold forever.

it's as he's leaving the library and entering the cafe adjacent to it that he bumps into someone. hot tea spills between the both of them, and he hisses at the stinging on his skin. he ignores the stinging when he hears a cry that isn't his own, and he sees the one and only: draco malfoy.

y/n quickly vanishes the spilled tea away and performs healing and soothing charms on draco, neglecting his own burning skin as he helps the boy up.

"my apologies, mr. malfoy, i wasn't watching where i was going," y/n says, looking him over to make sure he didn't miss anything. draco yanks himself away from y/n with a sneer on his face, though his cheeks are flushed with embarrassment.

"you really will be sorry when my father hears about this!" draco threatens, rubbing the skin that had been burned.

y/n bites his cheek and takes a deep breath, chanting in his brain that hexing a child in public would not look good on his record.

"will you find it within the kindness of your heart not to tell your father if i buy you another cuppa?" y/n asks, finally charming his own burns away and flattening down his clothing awkwardly. draco squints at him as he considers it.

"another cup of tea would be suitable payment," draco says, tugging down the collar of his coat as he turns around to make another order. "though my acceptance isn't out of the kindness of my heart."

y/n sighs with a roll of his eyes and steps up beside draco to pay for their tea.

"have you paid a visit to the library, yet?" y/n asks, rocking between the balls of his feet and his heels.

"i meant what i said about my library," draco spits out, glaring up at y/n through the corner of his eye but not fully looking at him, "i'm only here because my father fired the only house elf that could make my tea to my standards."

y/n's mouth flattens into a line as he hums awkwardly. "that's... unfortunate."

"it is! i rather liked whimpsy, she only accidentally brushed by father." draco looks down as he frowns, and that's when y/n realizes that draco isn't just upset about no longer having high standard tea. he's actually capable of empathy for another living being. shocking.

"well, where does she serve now?" y/n asks, taking the tea cups that are handed to him and giving draco his.

"hogwarts," draco replies simply.

"well, that's not so bad, is it? she can make you your tea during your time at hogwarts."

draco visibly brightens and the thought, but is quick to return neutral. it sort of disappoints y/n. he sips his tea.

"do you live in wiltshire?" draco finally asks.

y/n nods. "i grew up here."

"are you pureblood?" draco asks, squinting at y/n.

"half-blood," y/n answers casually, "my mother was a pureblood and took my father's name when they married. they were kicked out of the little social circle the purebloods had after that."

"are your parents dead? why do refer to them in the past tense?" draco asks.

y/n laughs at how straightforward he is, but mellows out as he considers his response. "they were murdered by death eaters."

draco's mouth falls open in shock, even a small glint of pity passing through his eyes. "oh." but then the boy's eyebrows furrow and he looks up and meets y/n's eyes.

"the death eaters loved pure-bloods. why would they kill your mother, then?" draco asks, lifting his tea to his face and blowing into it gently to cool it down.

"because the death eaters had no real cause. they were death eaters because they wanted to hurt people, regardless of their status or who they were," y/n said, his tone gentle but stern. "and they'd turn on anyone who wasn't exactly like them in heartbeat, even a pure-blood."

draco's eyebrows furrow even further, and he takes a deep breath. "but father said..."

y/n's remains neutral at those words. "i think it would be in your best interest—" y/n begins, considering his words, "—if you pursued knowledge outside of what your father and hogwarts teach you. your library may be extent, but i know that the information it holds is limited because of who your father is. if you truly wish to learn, i implore you to seek new knowledge elsewhere."

draco remains silent as he stares down at his tea, purposefully avoiding y/n's gaze. y/n sighs.

"unfortunately, i have things to tend to, so i must be off," y/n says, getting up from his seat and pushing the chair in. "it was a pleasure speaking with you, mr. malfoy."

draco just nods, watching y/n as he gives one last nod and leaves the cafe.

hi goobers