xxiii

song: summertime - dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince

3rd pov

y/n stood at the front of his classroom, staring at the antsy children fidgeting in their seats.

"today is the last day of your second year," y/n said, "how do you all feel?"

"ready for third year," hermione called out, raising her hand as she did so.

"i like your eagerness, miss granger. you're a brilliant witch," y/n said with a soft smile, watching hermione put her hand down bashfully.

"try hard," draco said with a cough. hermione, harry, and ron turned to him and scowled. y/n took a deep breath and sighed, trying not to get mad at draco, who was probably lashing out so he could get some sort of attention. he knew how it felt.

"mister malfoy," y/n said calmly. draco's mouth formed into a flat line as he awaited his reprimand. "what are your plans this summer?"

draco's mouth parted in surprise, and he had to take a moment to actually think of an answer.

"my father is taking my mother to paris," he said, but his face fell ever so slightly and he looked down at the desk as he spoke again, "i will be home, studying or whatever."

"is that right?" y/n asked, lifting himself to sit atop his desk in a more casual manner. "you live in wiltshire, yes?"

draco nodded absentmindedly.

"i recommend going to the library they have there, if you haven't already. right next to it is a cafe that brews wonderful tea. it's the perfect place to visit when you get sick of big giant houses,"  y/n said.

draco stared for a long moment before he sneered, "my home library is far better than some public rubbish. and i have house elves who make my tea just fine."

"suit yourself," y/n shrugged. he returned his attention to the entire class. "what else do any of you have planned?"

he was met with excited shouts of summer plans, and he smiled contentedly. a question cut through all of their voices, asked by ron weasley.

"will you be the defense against the dark arts professor next year?"

the entire class went silent. y/n cleared his throat.

"no." some students slumped in their chairs. "but, i just met with the school board, and i'm going to be the professor of an entirely new class."

the students erupted into curious chatter, whispering among each other.

"i'll be teaching music theory and directing an ensemble, so if any of you want to play an instrument, sign up," y/n said over them.

the bell indicating the end of class chimed, and every student bolted out of the class as fast as they could. y/n hummed, picking up the cup of tea he had made earlier and sipping at it, letting himself relax in the newfound silence of his classroom.

there was a tap at the door and y/n looked up, eyes meeting dark, tired ones.

"you look happy." y/n smiled, slipping off of the desk and walking towards severus, his arms open for a hug. severus sighed and practically fell into y/n's embrace, inhaling his scent deeply and sighing, his body immediately relaxing against y/n's.

"i hate children. they're stupid, disgusting, and insufferable." severus's voice was muffled in y/n's robes. y/n smiled and pat severus's back gently.

"dealing with children all day must be so difficult. i don't know how you do it," y/n said. severus pulled away from the hug to stare y/n with a scowl. y/n smiled back.

"i'll be sleeping in my own bed tonight," severus said, spinning on his heel and walking back towards the door. y/n swiftly pulled his wand out and tugged on severus's robes with magic, cackling when severus stumbled because of it. severus stood still, silent. y/n hugged him from behind. "you're lucky i can't give you detention."

"i always liked detention with you," y/n said, nosing at the back of severus's neck, warm breath making the man shiver. "it was never much of a punishment."

y/n's vision twisted and his stomach lurched, and with a startled gasp he looked around to find that he was no longer in his classroom, but right beside his bed. he pulled away from severus and looked around, breathing in deeply to ward off the nausea that always came from unexpected apparition.

"you could have warned me," y/n said, collapsing onto his bed with a sigh. severus turned and approached the edge of the bed, and y/n followed him with his eyes. severus once again let himself fall into y/n's warmth, and y/n chuckled.

"you must really be tired," y/n said, wrapping his arms around severus and dragging his hand gently through his long, black hair. severus hummed with content.

"your students must have been extra rowdy if you're this tired," y/n said.

"i've been thinking about the summer so much it's exhausted me. i can't wait for the months of peace and quiet," severus said.

"i'm probably going to go back to my flat in london over the summer. maybe visit the old house as well," y/n said, relaxing further into his mattress as severus's warmth made him drowsy.

"old house?" severus asked, propping his chin up on y/n's chest to look st him.

"yeah, the house i grew up in— my parent's house," y/n explained. "it's near the malfoy's, a ways away from their land."

"ah," severus huffed. y/n pulled severus all the way onto the bed, and then pulled off most of their clothes before settlings back down again, draping the duvet over the both of them.

"let's nap before dinner," y/n said, snuggling into severus.

severus wanted to laugh. they were already unclothed and under the covers, what else were they going to do?

i can think of one thing they could do besides sleep...