xxi

3rd pov

y/n slept well that night, severus by his side throughout all of it. he didn't dream, but he also didn't have nightmares. not once did he wake up in terror.

when he did wake up, he felt like he was floating, a certain peace within his soul he hadn't felt in a long time. he hummed and rolled over, pulling his blanket back over his shoulder and snuggling into severus's warmth. he felt severus shift, but ignored it and kept his eyes closed, not wanting to get up from his bed.

"are you finally awake?" severus asked, his hand disappearing into y/n's hair. y/n didn't respond, he just dug himself even further into his bed and sighed.

"i recommend you get up now, love. it's past seven in the morning," severus said, laying back down beside y/n.

y/n groaned and shoved his face into his pillow. "it's sunday," he said, voice muffled, "i don't have to wake up early."

"but i want you to be awake," severus said through a sigh, throwing his arm over y/n's back and resting his face on his shoulder. y/n shifted, severus's face falling off of his shoulder, and he brought as much of severus as he could into his arms and against his chest.

severus chuckled, and tried to move out of the grasp, but found that y/n had himself wrapped around his every limb. severus squirmed, but found no success in escaping.

"release me," severus said, trying to yank his arm free. y/n hummed a no and snuggled deeper against severus. severus gave up with a sigh, realizing he had no chance of escape.

y/n's breaths fell even again, off in dream land for the second time that morning. severus accepted his fate and held onto y/n, letting his eyes fall closed.

***

when severus woke up again, y/n was not beside him. severus sat up to see y/n sitting at his desk, freshly showered and in a shirt and boxers, reading a letter. y/n glanced up from the letter and smiled at the bleary eyed severus, who barely hummed in response. y/n set the letter down and got up from his chair, walking over to the bed and crawling onto it.

"good morning, severus," y/n said, straddling severus' lap and nosing at his neck. severus was wide awake now, hands immediately finding themselves at the small of y/n's back.

"good morning, darling," severus, sighing as he felt y/n's warm lips graze his throat. y/n sat up straight so he could be level with severus, and stared down at his lips. severus got the hint and closed the gap between their lips, immediately melting into the kiss. y/n wrapped his arms around severus's neck and pressed his body as much as he could into his, humming pleasure at the warmth severus provided.

"what was the letter about?" severus asked between kisses, fingers gently caressing up and down y/n's back.

"hm?" y/n hummed, not really hearing severus' question, to immersed in his touch.

"the letter you were reading, what was it for?" severus repeated.

"dumbledore wants to see me," y/n said, resting his chin on severus' shoulder and closing his eyes, "at my earliest convenience."

"well, perhaps you should go see him," severus suggested, holding onto y/n tighter.

"come with me, then," y/n said, ghosting his lips over the skin of severus' neck.

"okay," severus agreed.

***

dumbledore looked up when he heard a knock at his office door, seeing y/n enter. following y/n was severus, acting as a shadow.

"i suppose you two are a two in one package these days, hm? i should expect the both of you only when i call for one, shouldn't i?" dumbledore smiled, clasping his hands together.

"we just happened to be together, that is all," severus said, sitting in one of the chairs in front of dumbledore's desk.

y/n sat down in the identical one beside it, crossing one leg over the other and relaxing into the cushions. severus didn't let on just how much y/n's confident and casual demeanor affected him.

"what did you want to discuss?" y/n asked, thrumming his fingers on the arm of the chair gently, one of the very few tells that he was nervous.

"the school year is almost over, which means your temporary position as the defense against the dark arts professor expires soon," dumbledore said, "what are your plans after this?"

"i haven't thought about it, really," y/n said, studying the pattern of the carpet beneath his feet.

severus hummed, "professor l/n is quite talented in the musical arts, could there be a position created regarding that?"

dumbledore's eyebrows scrunched in consideration. "what musical knowledge do you have? are you experienced enough to teach it?"

"i have extensive knowledge in music theory, i'm very proficient at playing the piano and most string instruments, i can play some brass instruments, and i'm very knowledgeable in music history," y/n said.

"my, you've basically just given me an entire résumé," dumbledore said.

severus sat in pleasant surprise, not aware of the extent of y/n's musical talent.

"i can present the idea to the board, but you'll have demonstrate your knowledge," dumbledore said.

"that's fine," y/n said nonchalantly, not at all intimidated.

this chapter is short teehee, but hey! no more hiatus!