xiii

3rd pov

y/n and severus spent a lot of time together over the next couple of days, sitting next to each other during the evening meal, spending their breaks together, any chance they had to enjoy each other's company, they took it.

people definitely noticed, and it's not like they didn't notice that people noticed. the two were very aware of the whispering among the students whenever they walked down the hallways.

the students (and even some staff) were astonished that severus would let anyone within three feet of him, let alone have entire conversations with him.

y/n's students were getting rowdy, as all children do when the end of the year is near, and he was at his wit's end with them.

"if you guys shut up and sit in your seats i'll answer any questions about anything you want!" y/n yelled out desperately.

all of the students froze and stared at him, then all at the same time they returned to their seats and stared at him expectantly. y/n glanced at the clock to see how long he'd just doomed himself for, and sighed in relief when he saw there was only 10 minutes until class was over.

"okay, ask away," y/n said, waving his hand and sitting on the edge of his desk.

cho chang's hand was the first to go up, and y/n pointed to her.

"if you don't mind me asking, why do you walk with a cane?" she asked, her voice a bit timid

it was obviously a good question, because everybody was staring at him, intensely awaiting his answer.

"i was bitten by a shark," y/n said, looking at all of his students expectantly. they stared at him and waited for the real answer.

"no? okay," he sighed, "i was following a death eater's trail, but they'd set a trap. i fell for it and got blown up and sent back by the explosion. when i landed i shattered my hip bone and fractured my femur in two places. it took both surgery and magic to fix it, but it's still healing. so until it's fully healed, i have to walk with this cane to keep the stress off of it."

the students gaped at him.

"well, did you catch the death eater?" harry potter asked, his eyes glimmering.

"no," y/n shook his head with a chuckle. "one of the only death eaters to get away from me."

draco malfoy raised his hand, his ever mischievous face unable to hide his conniving expression. y/n's gaze glided over draco's hand. he really didn't want to answer whatever question draco had concocted.

but draco, being draco, asked his question even thought y/n hadn't called on him.

"why do you and professor snape spend so much time together?" he asked.

y/n was a little shocked by the question, expecting something more violent.

"well i've known him since i was a student here. he was the only teacher i liked and nobody else did, so i ended up hiding around in his class more often than not," y/n explained, shrugging.

"hiding? what were you hiding from?" hermione asked, raising her hand but not waiting to be called on.

"other students. i fell out of a tree and it made me famous for some reason. i didn't like the attention," y/n explained.

then another voice chimed in, one that wasn't any of the students'.

"you say that, but yet you were always desperate for attention in my class, constantly disrupting my teaching and harassing me with your magic. don't think i haven't forgetten, professor l/n," severus said, standing in the doorway.

everyone turned around, shocked. snape made a fake shocked face back, then went back to his usual stoic expression. "goodbye, children."

just as severus said that, the bell chimed throughout the classrooms and halls. each of the children stood up and packed their things quickly, then left.

"to what do i owe the pleasure, severus?" y/n asked, folding his arms and smiling at the dark haired man.

"would you believe me if i said i was bored?" severus asked, taking a seat in y/n's desk chair.

"do i have to start sending you to gather potion ingredients for me? if i do, you should totally accidentally fall out of a tree," y/n said, laughing to himself.

"ha ha, you're very funny," severus deadpanned. y/n just smiled at him.

"i've got to head to the library for a few things, would you like to accompany me?" y/n asked, sitting up off of his desk and summoning his cane to himself.

"it would my pleasure. we'll have lunch after," severus said, standing up and stepping beside y/n so they could leave together.

***

some ways away, eavesdropping on them were the three trouble makers themselves: harry, ron, and hermione.

"i think they've got something going on," hermione speculated, watching the two professors make their way down the corridor.

"something like... what?" ron hesitated to ask, knowing what hermione was insinuating.

"they like each other!" hermione said excited.

"but... professor l/n and professor snape..?" harry questioned, watching them disappear down the hall.

hermione straightened up with a stern look on her face. "it's entirely okay for a man to like another man, harry."

harry winced. "i know, i know. that's not what i meant. i just want to know why someone as nice as professor l/n..."

"...would like someone like professor snape!" ron finished for harry.

hermione sighed. "i don't really think they're all that different. they're different on the outside, but on the inside, i think they're similar."

the two boys hummed.

some ways away, the three gremlins were being spied on by an even more gremlin-y gremlin.

draco malfoy.

draco smiled to himself after hearing what the three buffoons (at least, they were buffoons in his mind) had come up with. it was the perfect rumor to start spreading around the school.

professor l/n like professor snape, and vice versa! oh, it was so perfect. 

draco is such a little meddler lmao