Chapter 20- S2/E10-11 By the Light of the Moon

Recap>

So Elijah was insecure, Niklaus is on his way, Elena can make the hard choice of giving herself up for her family, Damon and Stefan still don't get it, and Maddie is a bit sick of everyone.

Back to the program>

Elijah and Maddison are standing by the window, wrapped in one another's arms. As they relish being with each other again, the door opens, and in walks Jonah Martin. "Where's Luka?" Elijah questions as he releases his mate to turn toward the warlock. "Asleep." Is Dr. Martin's curt response. "His shadow spell was successful." Elijah compliments, "I was able to track that girl."

At this, Maddison gives Elijah a chastising look that causes the corner of his lips to turn up. "However, I had a little run-in with one of the brothers that killed me." Dr. Martin glances over at the girl he hadn't noticed till now before speaking. "I assume he didn't live to tell about it." Elijah tenses a bit, before wrapping an arm around Maddison's waist. "Actually, I spared him."

Jonah glances at Maddison again. "He'd die before he'd let anything happen to her, they both would. She'll be kept safe." Jonah takes a deep breath. "For now." Elijah tightens his arms around his lover's waist, "Well that's precisely what we need her to be." Maddison looks up at him, confusion clear on her face. "What are you saying right now? Are you even hearing yourself?"

He sighs quickly turning her body to face him, "Do not worry, Elskan. All is well." Her eyes narrow at him, "No, in case you have forgotten I'm in charge of this. She's my sister, you're my soulmate, and I'm the one who knows the damn future. You said that you trusted me to take care of this." He looks at Dr. Martin who takes the hint and leaves the room. "Elskan I know that you want to take care of everyone but some difficult choices need to be made, and some will die."

"I know one who is going to die right about now," she warns with a sickly sweet smile. He chuckles nervously, "Elskan I adore you but you are not exactly someone who can take a life no matter how evil it may be." She grinds her teeth at his words, "Elijah I am willing to do whatever is necessary to save my family, which now includes you. So I am going to save you right now and tell you to shut up before I kill you." He sighs, "Maddison, you are a teenage girl, you won't ki-"

"No! Elijah if I am mature enough to have a relationship with you, then I am mature enough to do what's necessary for my family," Maddison told him, feeling inferior at his comment. She had always been told she never acted her age. She didn't feel like she was allowed to. They always said 'Act like an adult, you aren't a child' but then they contradicted that by later saying 'You're just a child'.

"You're right. I just- I worry that if we all leave it to you then something might happen to you. You shouldn't have to do this alone." Maddison sighs, "Eli, I'm not doing this alone though. We are a team, okay? Me, you, Nik, and the others."

Elena's Pov.

As Damon and I walk up to my house I can't help but worry about Maddi. I know she can take care of herself but... What does Elijah want with her? "Thank you for bringing me home." Damon sighs, "Well, your ride left you. I didn't want to leave you stranded." I turn to him, "She was just scared, she didn't mean to run." Damon shakes his head, "Yes, she did. She's been running for 500 years."

"I can't believe Elijah's alive, and Maddi is with him right now. I'm worried, Damon. What if he does, or has done, something to her? You saw the way she just walked right into his arms without a word. What if he's found a way to control her? And why did he kill those two vampires and let us go?" Damon chooses sarcasm of course, "If I had a dollar for every time some evil vampire surprised me." I step forward to go inside but Damon takes hold of my arm, "What you did today was incredibly stupid."

I narrow my eyes at him, "Actually the only thing that was stupid was that I got caught." I rip my arm away from him "I don't question why you and Stefan, everyone else tries so hard to save me. You shouldn't question why I would try to save all of you." Just as I finish speaking the door opens. "Damon, good night, okay?" We look over at Jeremy "What?" He looks at us sadly. "It's Stefan."

Maddison's Pov.

Elijah and I have been at his apartment for a few hours, watching tv, when my phone rings. Hearing David Guetta's song "Without You" I know it's Elena. "Hello?" "We have a problem" Elena rushed. "What happened?" She sobs "Stefan's stuck in the tomb." I glance over at Elijah. "Lena, what happened?" She cries out nonsense. "Lena I can't understand what you're saying."