Chapter 24- S2/E12 "The Descent"

I lean my head on Elijah's arm, trying to catch my breath. "Oh, that. That was comedy gold. I love you." Elijah tenses and it's only then that I realize what I've said.

I sit up straight, looking at him, seeing the panic on his face. "I- I'm sorry. That, I shouldn't have," Elijah cuts me off. "I love you too." I open and close my mouth a few times, his words pinging around in my head. "Are you sure?" He looks startled at my question. "What?"

"You look so unsure, if you're not ready to say it back that's okay." He takes a shaky breath, "I think, I think I'm ready." I look at him sadly, not because I don't believe that he loves me, but because he feels like he has to say it back. "No, you're not, but it's okay Lijah. I promise."

Then Nik's voice comes from the phone, reminding me that the others are still here. "Well, that is something." I can tell by his voice that he's trying to pass it off as a joke but is truly surprised. Then Jenna lets out an awkward laugh, "Yeah, what he said." Elena clears her throat, looking thoroughly confused.

"Maddie, are- are you with him?" I sighed, worried about how she'll react. "Yes." She nods, thoughtfully. "When? When did this," she gestures toward me and Elijah, "happen?" I scoot away from Elijah, nervously. "After we first met him. He's one of my mates, Lena." Realization crosses her face. "And Klaus?" I nod.

"That's why you're so determined to help all sides, isn't it?" I bite my lip, "That, among other things." She quirks a brow in that way that reminds me she's older than me. "Such as?" I chuckle, feeling awkward. "The reason that the sacrifice exists." She furrows her brows, "The Sun and Moon Curse?" I glance at Elijah. "No."

"The Sun and Moon Curse, it doesn't exist." She makes a face that makes me laugh. 
"Then what the hell is the sacrifice for?" Jenna looks at Elena, scandalized. "Elena, language!" Elena's eyes widen, "Sorry, Aunt Jenna." I look at Elijah and see a warm smile on his face and his eyes shining. "It's a curse on Nik," she scrunches her face confused, "Klaus." 

"Klaus isn't just a Vampire, he was born a werewolf. His mother had an affair, and when it was brought to the light after their transition she locked that piece of him away, in shame. She punished him, for her own recklessness and betrayal." Elena's eyes widen, in what I can only assume is horror. "Oh, Klaus, I'm so sorry." Nik clears his throat. "Nonsense, all in the past."

We can hear the shaky breaths and waver in his tone. "I'll make sure that you get that part of you back. Even if it means my life." Elena says, confidently. I smile at her, "Well, I won't let it come to that. None of you are allowed to permanently die." They all laugh.

We hear footsteps coming down the steps. "Maddie?" Jeremy called out. "In here." He walks through the door, "Can we talk?" I bite the inside of my cheek. "Sure." His shoulders relax a bit, and he pulls a chair up next to me. "Maddie, I'm so so sorry. I should have known better. You're my twin, and I know you're an amazing sister, and that is something I will never doubt again." I grab his hand and smile at him. "You're forgiven." 

Nobody's Pov.

He goes slack in relief. "Oh thank god. You being upset with me is awful, never want that to happen again." Everyone laughs quietly, and it's then that Jeremy realizes he doesn't know the person next to Maddie. "Uhhh, who is this?" His thumb jabbed in Elijah's direction. "Jer, this is Elijah, one of my mates." The teen narrows his eyes at the man. "Oh is he now?"

"Jer, don't," Jeremy cuts her off by turning himself toward Elijah. "So, Elijah, if that is your real name, what are your intentions with my twin?" Nik's laugh booms through the speaker, and Jeremy's head whips around looking for the source. "That," Maddie says pointing at the phone, "is another one of my mates, Klaus." Jeremy's jaw drops. "Klaus? Klaus is your mate? Like the Klaus trying to kill our sister, Klaus?" Maddie and the others laugh. "Yep, that'd be the one." Jeremy huffs, "Nope, no. I will not stand for this." Elijah tenses and Niklaus growls, while the Gilbert family, minus Jeremy, laughs. "Too bad, Jer."

"But Maddie," he whined. "Jeremy," Elena interrupted, "We've talked and worked everything out. It's okay." Jeremy huffs, clearly hesitant to accept this. "Fine, but I'm not gonna be friends with them." Maddison laughs, happy that her twin isn't too upset. "All I ask is that you're civil." He sighs dramatically, "I can manage that, for you." Maddison grabs his hand, a warm smile on her face. "Thank you."

"Anything for my twin. Forever?" Maddison kisses his cheek, "Always." Elijah stares at Maddie, which she quickly takes notice of. "What?" Elijah blinks at her for a moment, mouth opening and closing. "You and your siblings say Always and Forever?" Maddie looks at him with a confused smirk. "Nope, we promised Forever and Always." Niklaus speaks up, "When?"

Elena answers for her sister, "The day of our parents' funeral." Elijah's face falls into an uncomfortable look. "Oh, my apologies." Maddison smiles at him sadly, "No need to be sorry. It's okay." Elena lays a hand on her sister's shoulder, "Because we have each other." Jeremy smiles at his sisters, squeezing Maddie's hand. "Yeah."

Jenna, who had been smiling with tears in her eyes at her wonderful nieces and nephew, stands. "I love you three but I'm going to bed." The teens look to their aunt. "Goodnight Aunt Jenna, love you." The three said in unison. Elijah and Niklaus bid farewell to Jenna, "Goodbye." Jenna nods in recognition, "Bye." Jenna walks out of sight and up the stairs.