7. Confessions

The problem with asking other people to help him solve problems was that they wanted to talk about it. Contingencies and what ifs and who does what; it was all very headache inducing. Especially since he’d much rather be playing with his son than sitting in Sword Hall listening to grown men and women bicker over trivialities.

Wei WuXian would be better off back in the library attempting to write that curse.

Jin ZiXuan had tried to lead the meeting at first. He’d had a map of where he thought the work camps were placed and a rough count of how many guards he thought each place held. Trying to remember how many prisoners were supposed to be there was an exercise in futility if every work camp had replaced cultivators with civilians. 

Jiang WanYin, of course, did not like having someone else usurping his authority in his own Hall, so he’d stomped all over Jin ZiXuan’s plans (almost literally at some times). And then Lan XiChen designated himself peacemaker and tried to soothe egos. By the time Nie MingJue stood up and questioned why it was important to save Wen dogs, even civilian Wen dogs, Wei WuXian decided he wasn’t going to pay attention anymore. Either the sect leaders were going to decide to do the right thing or they weren’t. If not, he’d resort to ‘go it alone Wei Ying’, and probably end up blowing himself up again. This time, though, he’d make sure A’Yuan and the Wen siblings survived. 

A’Yuan…. Wei WuXian smiled to himself remembering breakfast. The little monster ate porridge. Somehow he’d managed to get more in his hair than in his mouth. He’d babbled the entire time about playing. At first it seemed like he was telling his A’Die about what happened the day before. But then he was mentioning people back in his home village, so Wei WuXian guessed it was just random thoughts spilling out of the imp’s mouth. Whatever it was, it was adorably cute, and he was falling in love with his son all over again. It seemed to be a daily occurrence. 

Wei WuXian wished he had something to draw with and on. He should try to draw A’Yuan every week, so the kid would know what he looked like growing up. Because he was going to grow up this time around. 

Without paper or ink, he decided to look like he was paying attention to the discussion. The blustering clan leader currently pontificating had quite impressive mustaches that he stroked constantly. No beard, though. Wei WuXian thought that it might be interesting to tie the two sides together and somehow glue them to his chin? Then he could have the beard he apparently so desperately wanted. While struggling to keep his face passive, he felt something; Lan WangJi’s glare was practically physical in its intensity. Wei WuXian could practically hear his friend’s voice sternly saying, “No.”

Friend. They weren’t ‘friends’. Not exactly. They weren’t exactly ‘not friends’ either. Nor casual acquaintances or any other term he could think of. What was the term for ‘can’t stand to be near me nine times in ten, won’t let me even casually touch him ninety-nine times in one hundred, but then kisses me until I can’t think?’ 

Not that he had any experience in kissing anyone other than Lan WangJi, but he thought they were pretty good kisses. Wei WuXian stole a glance at the second jade, sitting so primly next to his elder brother, looking like he was paying perfect attention to the newest clan leader to take the floor. Wei WuXian forced himself to listen as this new one, face clear of facial hair, talked about grazing rights. Grazing rights? What did cattle have to do with protecting Wen civilians from those work camps? His fists clenched in his lap. Prioritizing beasts over people? Yes, food was important. And grazing rights should definitely be discussed. But perhaps at a more appropriate time and place? 

Though he supposed he wasn’t much different than this clan leader. He was talking about something more than slightly important, while Wei WuXian was daydreaming about his kid and thinking about kissing his… Lan Zhan….