33. Seclusion

Lan WangJi met his uncle for breakfast the following morning and was informed of the events that occurred after he left. Jin GuangYao was executed. Lan XiChen left Lanling immediately afterwards. Jin GuangShan was stripped of his position and JinZiXuan elevated to sect leader. It was almost anticlimactic.

Lan QiRen sighed over his tea and his bones creaked a bit. "You'll need to come back to Cloud Recesses with me later this morning. Your brother is going into seclusion to reflect on his mistakes."

Lan WangJi stamped down a spurt of annoyance. "Of course, Uncle."

"You'll take on the role of acting sect leader in his place. I imagine there will be discussions about making the seclusion permanent and making you sect leader."

"Why? XiongZhang did exactly the same as every other clan leader."

"Does that mean he did nothing wrong? He trusted that bastard, MengYao. over his own brother! Over his own eyes!"

"As did you, Uncle," Lan WangJi kept his voice soft and not accusing.

"And I will reflect on my failings when I return to Cloud Recesses."

Saying goodbye to Wei WuXian made his stomach hurt. Wei WuXian was obviously not enjoying the thought of separating, either, but he pretended to be okay with it. "It's not as if sect leaders are stuck in their homes all the time. You can go night hunting. And meet other clan leaders for discussion conferences." Left for Lan WangJI to infer was 'I'll meet you there if you let me know where you're going to be.' It was better than nothing.

And it was temporary. Lan XiChen wouldn't remain in seclusion for more than a few months, right?

"I'll write to you, Lan Zhan. You have to write back. Promise."

"Promise."

Cloud Recesses was well run. In the absence of a true sect leader, classes continued as normal. Juniors went on training night hunts as normal. Senior disciples did their duties as normal. There were few punishments to oversee. Lan WangJi hired an aide to sort through correspondence.

At the end of the first month, he received a single letter from Wei WuXian. I'm living in Lotus Pier again. I brought A'Yuan back from Qinghe. My jie and didi there are staying to continue their work. I miss them. But it's a good thing.

Lan WangJI crafted his return letter over several nights.

It was a month and a half before he received a reply. Things are busy here. I'm teaching A'Yuan to swim; he's like a fish! No fear of the water, which is good and bad. Bad because he's snuck out to swim a few times without a responsible adult with him, just his new friends. He's not a good enough swimmer to be out there without an adult yet. I have to punish him for it, and I hate myself every time. No, I don't hit him. I make him sit on the docks and watch other kids swim. He cries and it breaks my heart. I've been reinstated as head disciple which means more than it did before Jiang Cheng found out I gave him my core. I'm doing a lot more administrative work, which I hate, and overseeing the older disciples rather than teaching the young ones. I suppose it's because I can help the older ones without having a core. Please check your schedule. Can you come to Lotus Pier before the summer ends?

Lan WangJi's return letter was not what he wanted it to be. He wanted to pour out his love and longing, of how he slept poorly without his love at his side. But he wasn't sure who was reading his mail, so he kept it light and sensible. Until he started writing about the rabbits; then his prose became full of passion.

Three months passed before he received a response. Are you getting my letters? I know you're busy. I don't imagine that would keep you from writing to me, though. Are you writing? I haven't received any of them. Lan WangJi very carefully put the letter, the rest unread, into a hidden hole in the floor and went to talk to his aide.