47. Extras 5: 1986, Part II

The first memory Nie MingJue had of punching someone was when he was four or five. His older cousin (they shared a relative somewhere six or seven generations back), Nie YiChen, had casually sneered, "My mother says your mother should just die since she can't do her wifely duty." The young Nie MingJue didn't know what a 'wifely duty' was, but his cousin repeating such horrible words was reason enough to ball his fingers into a fist and let it fly. They all got in trouble, of course: Nie MingJue for fighting, Nie YiChen for goading him, and the aunt for wishing her sect leader's wife dead.

The young Jue'Er paid close attention to his mother after that, looking for evidence that she was, in fact, doing her wifely duties. What he noticed was that his mother, Nie JiaYi, was sad.

Her sadness floated around her like an extra layer of robes most of the time. And then it would weigh heavily on her for a few days. This pattern continued for a few years. Jue'Er was nearly eight when the sadness disappeared and Nie JiaYi started smiling and laughing. "Jue'Er," she cuddled him one night, "You're going to have a sister by the Autumn Festival. Won't that be exciting?"

Jue'Er nodded. He would prefer a brother, but a sister would be nice as well. "Is she going to be older or younger than me?"

"Silly boy! Of course younger," Nie JiaYi laughed. "She's growing in my womb right now." She placed his hand over where the baby was growing. "I'll bet you're going to be the best older brother a girl could want. You're going to grow up so strong and tall. And handsome! You're already such a good looking boy!"

Jue'Er didn't quite understand how a sister could grow inside his mother. Did she grow like plants did? If so, how did they pull her out? But if she was certain about it, he was satisfied. And happy that his mother was finally happy.

A few days later there was a large commotion in his mother's room with healers and midwives whispering in low, frantic whispers. When it was over, he was led into the room to see his mother lying still and cold in her bed, a teeny baby girl nestled on her chest. "Say goodbye to your mother and sister," he was instructed.

He was old enough to understand what 'dead' was. He was young enough to not understand how to internally process that his mother would never again kiss him goodnight or sing songs in the garden or do any of the million other things a mother did.

Nie YiChen, laughing and taunting at the newly motherless boy, was also the recipient of Nie MingJue's second punch. At least this time he knew not to tuck his thumb under his fingers. And he had enough power behind it to bloody his cousin's nose.

The next punch that mattered didn't come until a year or so after his father's death. Of course, there were plenty of occasions where a teenager or young adult in a martial sect could resort to fist fights as a way to blow off excess energy, but those didn't count as actual, memorable, punches. Not even when they involved breaking YiChen's nose. No, the next one that mattered was given to one who whole-heartedly deserved it.

Nie MingJue was stomping through the market looking for his brother (who was avoiding saber practice. Again.) There was some sort of conflict going on and a large-ish crowd blocking his way. The sect leader pushed his way through the crowd only to see a man kicking a woman in the side and back as she knelt over a small child, protecting it from being hurt. "You stupid, inconsiderate woman!" the man screamed. "You had one job! To prepare tea for my guest! Tea!'' He embellished the word with a kick towards her head. "Who asked you to prepare food? Huh?" More kicks struck the women. "Do you think that I'm so rich that I can afford to feed him a meal? Who's going to pay for it? Are you and the brat going to starve tonight because you served him your food?" He looked up at the crowd. "Maybe I should whore you out! Make you earn the money for your meal on your back!" He went to kick her again and found himself hoisted in the air instead. "Let go of me!" he yelled louder.