25. Return to Qiongqi Path

Wei WuXian supposed he probably had a good reason to hate this place. Whether it was because of the work camp or because this was where his world went to Hell was a toss up. "It's too quiet," he mused to Lan WangJi. "It was like this the other time, too, when I came through here with Wen Ning."

"I don't feel anything or anyone," Lan WangJi spoke softly back.

Wei WuXian sent his senses out, reaching out for the resentful energy that should have been there. "They cleared the resentful energy again."

"What happened first? Did they confront you?"

"I think... an arrow." Lan WangJi swiftly grabbed the arrow aimed straight at Wei WuXian's heart. "Just like that, actually." Both men looked to the ridges to see hundreds of men and women brandishing their swords or pointing their drawn bows down at the pair. "Exactly like this."

"What did you do next?" Lan WangJi broke the arrow and tossed it aside.

"Probably asked who it was." Wei WuXian smiled wryly. "It's not like I remembered who that Jin dog was." Louder, he called up to the apparent ringleader. "Who are you? What's the meaning of this?"

Jin ZiXun looked to be hopping mad. Whether it was because his arrow failed to hit its mark or because Wei WuXian was pretending to not know who he was was irrelevant. "How come you never remember who I am? I'm Jin ZiXun!"

"I honestly don't remember meeting you," Wei WuXian called back. "I'm allowed to be here, you know. I've been invited to Jin Ling's full month celebration. If you don't mind, we'll just be on our way."

"You! You cursed me with this hundred holes curse and yet you don't even remember who I am?"

Wei WuXian imagined that he could see the flecks of spittle coming out of the angry Jin's mouth. "Oh. That's who you are? Wasn't me. We even had a trial about it where I had to answer under a Truth spell. Didn't I offer to help you find who cast the curse?"

"It had to be you! No one else is evil enough to kill me this way!"

"Jin ZiXun... if I wanted to kill you, I'd just kill you and be done with it. This hundred holes' curse has been killing you for over a year now. Not my style to let someone live for so long if I wanted them dead. Toddle on back to Koi Tower now, and after the celebration, I'll help you find out who did this to you, okay?"

"Admit you did it! Remove it from me or I'll kill you right here and now!"

"Lan Zhan," Wei WuXian loudly said to the man at his side. "You were at the trial. Could I have lied?"

"No."

"See? I couldn't have lied to Lan QiRen. So... you know I didn't curse you. Killing me won't end your torment, and you know it. Be a good little boy, put your toys away, take your friends, and go home. The grownups will solve this in a few days."

"That was inappropriate," Lan WangJi mused and shifted his hold on Bichen. "Are you trying to make him mad?"

"The sooner they start fighting, the sooner Jiang Cheng and Nie MingJue can step in," Wei WuXian stated quietly. "Besides... I hate waiting. Let's get this over with."

"Fine."

"Don't die. Don't get injured on my account. Not even a broken fingernail."

"Promise."

Jin ZiXun raised his sword. "This is your last chance, Wei WuXian! Remove this curse or I'll kill you!"

"You can try!" Wei WuXian laughed and brought Chenqing to his lips.

"Your ghost flute is of no use here! We cleansed this area of resentment. I'm done with you!" He raised his free hand high and chopped it down. A virtual hailstorm of arrows descended upon the pair. Lan WangJi's arm was a blur; Bichen's sword glare smashed into the projectiles burning them to a crisp long before they reached the duo.