28. Books

After eight days of being paralyzed and an additional two of enforced bed-rest but allowed to sit up with help, Wei WuXian was cleared to leave his sick bed. Upon returning to his childhood bedroom, he discovered that A'Yuan's bed was being used by Lan WangJi. Jiang YanLi's gaze was clear and bright as she explained, "Wen Qing and I thought this would be for the best, A'Xian, in case you need assistance during the night."

Assistance? Who says I need assistance at night? He frowned at his sister, but inside he was quite happy. He'd slept poorly, mostly because of being stuck in one position for eight days. But also because he was used to having Lan Zhan lying next to him at night.

Wen Qing was more direct. "No fooling around at night, do you understand? I won't have you ripping my stitches out because you and Lan WangJi are playing games. Sleep, rest, do quiet things. No running, no horseplay, no exerting yourself at all for at least a month."

"Yes, QingJie," he agreed promptly. He had thought she meant fooling around as in playing like children. The book on how men have sex together and a large vial of oil he found under his pillow when he went to lie down disabused him of that notion.

Wen Qing's arms were folded. "If you have any questions after you read that book, please come talk to me. I've already talked to Lan WangJi."

"QingJie!" Wei WuXian yelped. "It's not like that!"

"At all or just yet? I'm not blind. I've seen the way you two act around each other. How you're still virgins is a complete mystery to me."

"QingJie!"

"For propriety's sake, you should be separated until your wedding day. At least neither of you will end up pregnant before then."

"QingJie. It's not... we're not...."

"Do you like my name that much? Is that why you keep calling me? 'QingJie! QingJie!'

"I'm not stupid. You two have been living together under my roof for months. I see how you look at him. I see how he looks at you. Two idiots in love with each other trying to pretend to the other that they're not also lusting after the other.

"It's your life. You can do your mating dances as you like once you're healed. When you finally tire of the nonsense, clean, oil and prep before you have sex. I don't want to see either of you afterwards where you're complaining of being hurt or bleeding because you refused to follow instructions. If you're hurt or bleeding after following instructions, then I do want to see you."

She left him to his thoughts and the book. It was explicit if clinical. How was he to face Lan Zhan later knowing that he, too, had received a copy of this book from Wen Qing? That he, too, had been spoken to about sex. And marriage.

He could feel his face blushing bright red. And then something she said hit him right in the butterflies. QingJie thinks we're in love with each other.

Watching Lan Zhan's bedtime ritual later that night, thoughts of love kept intruding. Kneeling before a copper mirror on a table, the careful removal of his guan. Those hands were no less careful when exploring his body. Removing the forehead ribbon, smoothing the creases out, rolling it for the following day. That ribbon had been tied around his wrists. That ribbon that could only be touched by family. Do you really love me? Is that why you tied your ribbon to me? Do you want to marry me because you love me? The words ached to be spoken. "I'll comb your hair for you," he offered. I love combing your hair.

"Mmm."

"Will you bathe tonight?"

"No. Not unless you want me to."