3. Koi Tower

Wei WuXian had assumed that now that the Hunt and banquet were over, the sects would go home. He vastly underestimated Jin GuangShan's need to be admired. The day after the hunt was set aside for casual sect meetings and yet another banquet. The following day was for official sect leader meetings and yet another banquet.

The day after that, Jiang WanYin received an invitation to discuss a new betrothal agreement between his sister and Jin ZiXuan. Having never read the original, or any other betrothal agreement, he demurred citing a need to see what his father had agreed to before looking at Jin GuangShan's new offer. While a disciple went back to Lotus Pier, Jin ZiXuan asked if Jiang Cheng would like to see a new water feature he was building for Jiang YanLi.

"It will be a lotus pond, Jiang ZongZhu. I would like your advice on how deep to make it and if I should have special mud brought in?" Once alone with what was currently a dirty hole, he quietly added, "My father has some very specific items on his current draft of the betrothal agreement. He wants your Head Disciple's Stygian Tiger Amulet."

Jiang Cheng's face darkened. "That is not mine to give. Nor will I ask Wei WuXian to give it up."

Jin ZiXuan bowed slightly in agreement. "I think we need to stop him before he can even bring it up. I propose that Jiang YanLi and I, with your input, make our own betrothal agreement and present it to my father as done. We are both of age, after all."

Jiang Cheng thought about it. Politics weren't his strong suit; he couldn't stick his sword through a political mess to make it go away. "And if he disagrees?"

"If we present it in front of the Hall during the banquet tonight, he will have little choice but to put his stamp to it. He will fume in private, but he won't go back on what he has said publicly."

Wei WuXian was heartily sick of banquets. The same toasts over and over. The same polite conversations that never said anything interesting or worthwhile. The food was good, but not sufficient to make up for the complete boredom he was forced to endure for hours.

But then it wasn't boring. Jin ZiWhatshisname was puffing his chest out at Lan WangJi. Exactly as he'd done during that first Phoenix Night Hunt banquet. Even from across the Hall and with multiple conversations going on, Jin ZiHothead's voice was loud and clear, "I've asked you to drink with me! You disrespect me if you refuse!" Wei Ying couldn't hear Lan XiChen's response. Nor Jin GuangYao's. He could see Lan Zhan looking through the obnooxious Jin disciple, stony face set with displeasure.

The last time (the other time?), Wei WuXian had interrupted with anger and frustration. It had accomplished its mission, but had overly angered those who were on the fence about the swordless demonic cultivator. He crossed to the altercation, composing a different script in his mind. "Ah! Lan Zhan! Lan Zhan! There you are!" he jovially exclaimed and threw a careless arm over the hothead's shoulder. If the arm jostled the wine chalice and caused it to spill all down the front of Jin ZiHothead's robes? "Oh, sorry, sorry, sorry," he cried, not sorry in the slightest. "Lan XiChen... do you mind if I borrow your brother for a few moments? The other day we were discussing what type of girls we like, and I think I saw one who fits Lan Zhan's expectations perfectly." That earned him a glare from Lan Zhan. Lan XiChen was trying to not smile; his lips curled up at the edges even though he pressed the front together like he was biting them.

"Of course," Lan XiChen finally spoke when he managed to control his mouth. "Pretty girls are so much more interesting than another sect banquet. Don't you think so, WangJi?"

Lan Zhan's glare at his brother indicated that he did not think so, but he nodded his agreement and stately walked away from the sputtering Jin. Wei WuXian gave a parting sigh at the wet robes. "Jin GuangYao... perhaps you have something to help mop up my mess?" Then he followed his friend out of the hall, not bothering to wait for a response.