31. Return to Koi Tower, Part I

Koi Tower is my least favorite place to be. Wei WuXian thought that quite an achievement. After all, he had lived in the Burial Mounds with only corpses for company for months. Even Jiang YanLi's presence would not have been sufficient to make it even marginally better than a mountain full of resentment and dead things.

Jin GuangShan met them at the top of the stairs, emptily apologetic that they were injured in his home by his own disciples. Jin GuangYao was effusively apologetic. It sounded slimy to Wei WuXian's ears. Jin GuangShan's emptiness ended when he saw that his grandson was not in the Jiang entourage. "Where is A'Ling?" he demanded of his son.

"I left him with my wife," Jin ZiXuan answered. "I will not have him here where his parents were injured until I am satisfied that the people who want to harm us are dead."

"Of course; they're dead." Jin GuangYao smiled. "We made sure of that."

"I'm not sure," the Jin heir replied. "My wife and son will remain as safe as I can make them."

I really hate this place. Not even seeing Jin GuangYao's mouth drop open at his brazonness in insisting that he would stay with Lan WangJi was enough to make him like it any better. Lan Zhan, of course, merely blinked when asked if he was fine sharing his room and then walked in, declining to answer any further.

Dinner was a family-ish affair that night. Jin ZiXuan invited his allies along with his brother. "Didi," he said blandly, pouring them a cup of wine, "what I do not understand is how our cousin was able to clear Qiongqi Path of both corpses and resentful energy."

"I don't understand what you're implying," Jin GuangYao smiled back.

"He wasn't that strong of a cultivator. Neither was Su MinShan. So how did they do it? Did Father give them permission? Did they simply order disciples to do their bidding? And if so, why did the disciples not inform Father or me or you as to what they were doing?"

"I'm not sure I know the answers to those questions, Gege."

Wei WuXian spoke around a mouthful of food, "But you know everything."

"I'm sure I don't," Jin GuangYao demurred.

Wei WuXian swallowed his food noisily. "I'd really love to hear your answers under a truth spell."

"Wei WuXian!" both Jin GuangYao and Lan XiChen gasped simultaneously.

"That was funny," Wei WuXian snorted. "But seriously. You lie with such a straight face. It's quite entertaining."

"I'm not lying," Jin GuangYao insisted.

"He wouldn't lie to me," Lan XiChen echoed.

"He wasn't answering you, ZeWu-Jun."

Jin GuangYao rose from the table and bowed low. "I see that my presence here is merely to have my actions questioned. I have done nothing wrong. I will not stay and be insulted like this." He walked stately out of the room, head held as high as it could be.

"Good riddance," Wei WuXian muttered into his next bite of food.

"Wei WuXian. That was uncalled for," Lan XiChen stood as well. "You insulted our host."

Lan WangJi looked up at his brother. "Jin GuangYao needs to be questioned under the truth spell to clear his name."

"WangJi, I forbid it."

"Unfortunately, ZeWu-Jun, this is my sect and my brother. You have no right to forbid me from having my brother questioned as to who wanted me dead." Jin ZiXuan's voice was firm. "You almost died for me. How can you not want to know who is to blame?"