40. Things to Ponder

The NSFW part starts right after the clothing description.

The Nie contingent arrived one week before the wedding

Surprisingly, Wen Qing was with them. "Shut up," she ordered when Wei WuXian opened his mouth to ask the obvious question. "The QingheNie have a cultivation issue and I'm consulting with them on how to fix it."

Later at dinner, Nie HuaiSang admitted that he asked the Wen healer to come. "DaGe was dying of a qi deviation. She stabilized him enough for them to start fighting again. But whatever she's doing with him seems to be working." He snapped his fan open and whispered behind it, "I'm betting they'll be married before the weather turns."

Wei WuXian looked at his friend closely. "Do they know they'll be married soon?"

Nie HuaiSang sighed dramatically and waved his fan with an 'I'm not sure' attitude. "They both deny any kind of attraction. However... I caught them kissing in the carriage on the way here. And Wen Qing looks..." he gestured at his chest with his hand hidden behind his fan, "just a bit different. She's also stopped eating beef. Well, we've all stopped eating beef at the main table. The last time we ate it, she nearly vomited after seeing DaGe eating it."

"She's pregnant?" Wei WuXian tried to be discreet as he looked at his other shijie. He didn't have a fan to hide behind. She did look rather ill when a platter of beef was passed near her table. Trying to measure her chest while being discrete was nearly impossible. Peripheral vision was not good at assisting one in comparing how she looked a few months before and how she looked now. Staring at Wen Qing's chest to make the comparison was a guaranteed way to get a needle thrown across the room. "I supposed they would marry eventually. I thought it might be after one of them lost an arm or an eye or something slightly vital."

With a knowing look, Nie HuaiSang confided, "DaGe has stopped calling her a bitch."

"Well, that settles it. They're definitely getting married. She's most likely pregnant. But I imagine the 'marry me' conversation was quite... physical."

"I would have loved to have seen that," Nie HuaiSang sighed longingly. "Of course, DaGe would have murdered me. And then Wen Qing would have resurrected my dead body just so she could murder me, too."

"Would it be worth it?"

"Oh, yes. Of course.

 Of course