Night Shift

It was another long night, multiple people coming in and out and treating us here like shit, its not like we chose to only have as many workers as we want but sometimes you can't help it. Me and Denna were closing, we had two others but sense they're part timers we Have to let them out before we could close. He was cleaning off the counter as I walked up and down the aisles as I'd pick up multiple books and place them in their correct section. I brought the cart over as we both started up these old computers. "About how many tonight?" She asked, I looked at the cart and quickly counted. "Uhm...about 20, how many did you have?" "30, guess I lost again haha." "Oh yeah haha, I had 14, guess I win." "You got luck shut it." "I can't help it, I'm just better at this is all." "Only because you've worked here longer than me, doesn't count at all." "Hey don't get mad that I'm just better haha, shorty." I said, she was quick to kick me in the shins. "Heard that you tree!" She yelled as she kicked me more and more, I laughed the whole time as she started smirking and than giggling along with me.

"So what are you doing after work?" She asked, I thought about it for a moment. "Mm..I think I'm just heading home and making myself some dinner than...well I don't know, you?" "Oh...well I don't really know either haha..." "I thought you were going out with your boyfriend?" "That was the plan...but he's out drinking with his buddies..." "Oh, sorry to ask, my bad." "No no, its fine..."  She said looking away, I could see her rubbing her arms, looked a little cold. I took off my jacket and wrapped it over her. "Its going to rain  so you should head out first, I can lock up tonight." I said, I grabbed her cart and pulled it over to my side as I got to work. "B-but I-" "Hey hey hey, its fine, its not like this is the first time right haha. Go take it easy and maybe you take out your girls and go partying too." I didn't turn around to look at her as I got right to work scanning and placing the books in their selected places. I only heard the soft steps of her walking away.

I smiled as I worked. I knew over the past week and a half Denna was having problems with her boyfriend which was the only reason she'd try and work more so she'd have an excuse to leave home, I was concerned about what was happening behind their closed doors yes but at the same time I knew I couldn't stick my nose in sense I'm only a coworker and that's all. Denna and I weren't friends and we never talk outside of work but I want to say that's also due to my part as a typical introverted guy. Only reasons I leave my house was for work, to hang out with friends, see my family, and buying groceries. I always prefer to cook for myself and my family as mom and dad were really sick when we were kids so instead of hiring someone to take care of us, I did everything I could for my younger brother and sister. Even my older sister at times. After a ful hour of extra work I was able to wipe the sweat off my forehead and work on closing up for the night, I was getting my bag ready and heading out the main door when the lights cut off.

"Damn...I'll tell the boss in the morning, I'm always the first here and to leave anyway...i should really be getting home, its crazy outside." I said to myself. I walked up to the main door and looked out to see the storming rain outside, I held my bag over my head as I ran outside and to my car as I dove inside and headed home. I parked in my garage and headed inside as I left my wet shoes in the front entrance as I walked inside as I throw my wet clothes in the dryer as I headed in for a shower. I played some music as I washed up to than quickly dry off and change as I headed into the kitchen. I made myself a small meal like usual as I ate. I threw my leftovers in the fridge as I walked into my bedroom to lay down as I put my TV onto a random movie. I watched along as I slowly felt sleep taking over, I turned off everything in my room and drifted off to sleep.

With the rays of sunlight washing in I slowly opened my eyes only to be stuck while trying to get up, I was confused at first but kept trying only to be met with the same issue, something holding my hands behind my back and my blanket being wrapped around me. Yes it was soft and warm but I needed to get up, I struggled back and forth when i was able to roll onto my side and landed on a hard floor. "Wh-what?" I said, I was looking around but the room was still dark with most of the curtain soaking up the sunlight. "Good morning~" I heard a whisper say, I was scared and let out a small yip, I looked around for what I could but without my glasses I was blinder than a bat.