Summer Bus

It was just another long night, one that I wasn't ready for. It was already 5 pm and I was on the last bus home and the only other person on this bus besides the driver was your classic emo girl. Short black hair with two red streaks running through her hair. Black eyeliner that matched her black lips. Some heavy metal band T-shirt. Headphones in and reading a book. Her ears were filled with random piercings with one on her lips and nose. Each finger on both her hands was filled with random silver, death-looking rings, and a regular backpack beside her with all sorts of pins and stickers. Yup, your average emo girl.

I'm not one to talk, I got big ass Hairy Potter fucking glasses and I'm wearing a light brown sweater with a plain, boring backpack beside me. I sat on the left side of the bus, three rows down while she sat on the right side of the bus, two rows down. Just one row ahead of me with her backpack beside her and her by the window seat. Me the same. I just looked out the window as the bus drove on. This would be a simple three-hour drive as I live in the country and I'm guessing she might too. I didn't ask though, the last thing a nobody like me needs is getting accused of being a pervert. I'm already at the bottom of the social food chain.

I could feel myself slowly drifting off to sleep when the bus driver honked his horn and turned on his signals. "Last stop! Glover Street!" He said in a thick country accent. I was getting my backpack on and waking myself up for my twenty-minute walk when I saw that emo girl passed out as well. I don't know how far she lives away but, she looks young and that big fat dude driver looks...well he looks a little suspicious. I carefully walked over and gently shook her shoulder. "Hey, we're heading to the last stop." I don't think she could hear me but she did end up taking her headphones out and I could hear the loud sounds coming from it as she slowly looked over at me, not opening her eyes at all. "Hmmm..?" She sounded sleepy. "We're heading to the last bus stop." "Mmm..." She stretched and sort of woke herself up as she started getting her things ready. The bus slowly pulled up to the last bus stop of the night and went silent.

That was the last day I thought I'd see that emo girl only for me to see me to see her a whole month afterward. The two of us talked here and there but nothing much past how each other's days went and what we were listening to. It was Friday again and here I was, taking the second to last bus this time. I got lucky and ended up leaving school a little earlier than usual so the bus was filled this time. Only it was going to take nearly three full hours this time thanks to the weather outside. It was raining, sort of storming. It was making the roads dangerous and impossible for even the greatest drivers out there. I was lucky enough that the bus was filled this time with few people getting both on and off the bus, making it quickly fill and empty at the same time when I felt something heavy fall beside me.

I was so preoccupied with looking outside the window that I didn't even notice who sat beside me until I saw it was the emo girl again. I took a quick look around the bus to see it was filled with people this time instead of usual. I didn't pay attention to the people around me or the emo girl to my left. I just looked out the window and let my brain rest for the day. I closed my eyes as I rested my head back and on my arm only to open my eyes to the night sky above me.

The bus was almost empty now beside me, the bus driver, and that damn emo girl who was still reading her book and listening to music so loud I could hear it through my headphones and the classical music in my ears. I didn't pay attention to the emo girl as I looked up to where the bus driver usually sat but for that seat to be empty. "He left for a smoke break." The emo girl said. She had a sweet voice as she softly spoke. "I-I see...when did he leave?" "Just now, he's going on break, said he'd be back in about an hour or so but he'll leave the bus running and the heater on for both of us." "Oh...well, that was nice of him I guess." "Mhm." She just said.

I sat back down and rested my head against the window and on my arm once again. I had some low classical music playing on low volume with one headphone in. The emo girl beside me was just reading her book with her headphones in with full-blast volume going on, ignoring both me and the rest of this world, which I don't blame her for really. We all have those moments where we hate the rest of the world and with how she is, I'm guessing that's most of her personality. I closed my eyes and dreamt for a little. I saw myself at a piano recital, all four levels of seats filled to the brim with people. Four massive spotlights were placed on me as my fingers played those holy notes that were instantly followed by a massive roar from the crowd with applause and cries.