Red Light

I work part-time as a bartender at the local bar. It's hard work, but it's an honest living, and they could care less that I was 19. It's a significant pleasure for me to be a high school dropout and a shut-in. It also pays enough to fully pay for my apartment and all my bills without me starving to death. I also have enough cash left over every month that I can fund my gaming addiction. I've already had sex at 17 with some chick I met at a party back in high school, and I don't care about getting a girlfriend any time soon or having kids.

I had just finished my shift for the week and was heading home. The apartment building I live in is pretty crappy, with shitty people living there. The electricity was horrible, and so was the heating and water. Because my uncle was in construction and my foster father was a civil engineer, I know a few things about houses. I fixed up my electricity, plumbing, and walling all on my own in six months. I never told anyone about it since most of my lighting comes from the LED system I have around my kitchen, living room, and bedroom. As for the plumbing, that was just a quick fix.

I was just about to insert my key into my front door when I heard strange noises from my neighbor's apartment. I know that the woman who lives there is the same as me, more or less an introvert and/or a shut-in. Past that, I have no fucking idea about who this woman is. For all I know, she could be an Onlyfans girl or whatever. But she makes her money, and I make mine. That's all that matters, I guess. I walked in and did my usual house chores. Make dinner, take a quick shower, and get straight to gaming.

I've been addicted to a recently popular RPG that went worldwide only after weeks of being on Steam. I ended up being number 5 across the world of players. The top four all stream and record their games for content to make money and prove their skills, all while I record simple tricks and tips I do to help. I even remember number 3, Takio Surigawa, talking about me on his stream, commenting on a few XP hacks I spoke of, and saying that even he didn't know about that, and he talks with the devs on a normal basis.

I was already two hours into my recording on how to gain rare fish in a particular area with some beginner—and even amateur-level items when the power suddenly cut off. All my LEDs turned red, signaling another power outage once again. I removed my headset and carefully set it on its shelf, then headed into the hallway, looking up and down only to see my neighbor, the girl. "Hey, are you alright?" I asked. She only nodded as she looked across the hallway. "D-did your power go out too?" "Uh, yeah. I think it's going just to be maybe an hour or two. At least, I hope." "Y-yeah..." She looked a little tired and troubled. She had me worried. "Are you alright?" "Uh, yeah, I was just doing some laundry and...well, now I have to wait, haha." "I mean, my dryer is on a little generator I have. Do you want to borrow it?"

While it is true that power outages here are pretty common, it bothers me when things like this happen, especially when I only need another few minutes to finish my laundry. I ended up buying a mini-generator just for stuff like this. "It might take me a few minutes to get it disconnected, but I don't mind if you need it." "Oh, no, please. That's asking too much." While it didn't bother me that she didn't take my offer, she still looked like she needed help. "If you want, bring your laundry over, and feel free to do it here." The girl looked at me with a stunned look for a solid moment. "Uh..." She went silent once again.

She slowly pushed open her door, took a small step outside her room, and took a shy pose. She was standing in her doorway, wearing a tiny, black, grunge T-shirt and shorts that clung to her petite body. She was wearing a pair of thick, pink ankle socks. "A-are you sure?" "Uh..." I swallowed the knot in my throat. "Y-yeah, I don't mind at all." I pushed open the door and gestured to her inside. "Come in whenever you're ready while I adjust the generator." I was wearing a long gray T-shirt with matching gray sweatpants. I walked into my living room and grabbed the small generator in the bottom corner of the closet that was covered in other small junk. I wheeled it out and hooked it up to my washer and dryer.