Part 5

TW: This part depicts an assault.

I wasn't surprised that my parents hadn't called me at all.

It was now three weeks into the term starting- and I hadn't spoken to them once.

I spotted my other roommates talking to their parents. Samantha spoke to her mother and father almost daily.

She asked me at lunch one day if I spoke to mine at all, and she just didn't notice.

"No." I said, "I haven't spoken to my parents."

"May I ask why?" Samantha took a bite of her sandwich. It was just us two at the table today.

"I'm not very close with them. I believe they resent me. And they are always very busy as well. They've never had much time for me." I said.

"Why do you believe they resent you?" Samantha looked at me, concerned.

"I know they do for not being able to get into a University that was higher tier." I said, "They were not very happy that I wound up having to go to Crossroads. I think it was embarrassing for them."

Samantha frowned, "It's certainly not embarrassing. I came here because I truly don't know what I want to do with my life."

"I did...and I didn't. I had no other choice." I said.

"Did you not get high enough grades?"

"My entire last year at prep school I slacked off. I just found myself to be so disinterested in school. I would miss a lot of my classes on purpose. I was distracted." I said, giving a very short version of the story.

"I understand. School can be very difficult to have motivation for." Samantha said, "I know most of the girls are here because they need time deciding what they want to do. I wonder though, why Blaze is here. If it's the same reason."

"I have no idea." I said back, glancing over at Blaze. She was sitting with Eve.

"I noticed this week she hasn't bothered you." Samantha said to me.

"It comes in waves, it seems. She will strike again soon." I said, meaning every word.

"I wonder if she has a crush on you." Samantha said, looking over at Blaze.

"What?" I said, feeling myself get slightly warm, "No way. She hates me. I hate her."

"But she has taken such an interest in you. Even though it's a negative one."

"This isn't primary school, where teasing equals a crush." I said, "She genuinely dislikes me. And the feeling is mutual."

"If you say so." Samantha said, "Speaking though of women who like other women...is that any reason why you feel your parents resent you?"

"I can confidently say that is not a reason." I said, "I am not sure how it is in Naples where you are from- but in Raya homosexuality is very common."

"It's not as accepted in Naples. It's a bit more taboo." Samantha said, "I don't understand why. My family has always been very accepting."

"I know some towns in the country are less progressive than others."

"I like being here. It's also quite gay at this school." Samantha laughed, "Have you and Melina gotten to know each other better at all? She seems very interested in you."

"We haven't...yet. Honestly, I don't want a relationship of any sorts. I don't want to be tied down."

For some reason in my mind, I worried about what Blaze's reaction would be if I dated Melina.