Part 7

A month into the term starting, when it became October, I had a progress meeting with Headmaster Ryland. It was on a Thursday afternoon, the one after the weekend everything happened with Juliette. I was to leave my last class early and go to her office.

Her office was located inside the castle- tucked away to the back of the first floor.

I walked into her office and it smelled like earl grey tea- and was warm. There was a large wooden desk, as well as a small white table with two plush royal blue chairs. The office was adorned with many flowers and plants.

I was nervous for this meeting. Especially when I saw Headmaster Ryland sitting in one of the royal blue chairs. There was a teapot and two mugs on the table in front of her.

"Miss Morton, come take a seat." she gestured to the chair across from her.

I sat across from her, crossing my legs and pulling my skirt down as far as possible.

"Would you like some tea? I brewed a pot of bergamot earl grey." Headmaster Ryland said.

"Sure. Thank you, headmaster." I nodded.

She poured me a cup of hot tea slowly, and then one for herself. She had at least ten of these meetings today. I wondered if she drank a cup of tea in all of them.

"So, Natasha. How are you finding your time so far at Crossroads?" Headmaster Ryland asked me, looking at me with her hazel eyes.

"I am enjoying my time here." I said, honestly, "I feel as though I am learning a lot and am getting closer to figuring out what I want to do. The other girls are also very nice."

"You are well liked by the other students." Headmaster nodded, "As for the learning, I am glad you are feeling as though you are getting a competent education. However, I must tell you- some of your teachers do report that you seem...distracted during class. Like you are having trouble paying attention."

I paused for a moment. I wasn't expecting this.

"Yes. Sometimes I do have trouble paying attention. I've always had that problem. But please be assured, I am learning." I said.

"You are getting mostly B'a and a couple of C's." Headmaster said, "That will be good enough to get into a standard University."

"Yes." I nodded. I didn't know what else to say.

"I understand you had some...distractions when you were in Prep school and didn't show up much to your classes. I'm glad you're making it a point to show up here. Well, you don't really have an option." Headmaster said.

Is this just a session to dig at me?

"Yes. I wouldn't miss a class." I said.

"I would say so far you are doing well." Headmaster said, "Are you going to join a club now that your...community service club is no longer?"

"I am highly considering joining a club." I said. I actually hadn't given it a thought.

"I would suggest it." Headmaster nodded, "Well, I am glad you are succeeding so far, Natasha. That will be all."

I got up, realizing I hadn't even touched my tea. "Thank you." I nodded.

"Oh, and Natasha. One more thing." Headmaster said.

"Yes?"

"Try to not pay Blaze Callanan too much mind. She's a troubled girl."

I caught myself before narrowing my eyes at her. Should she be talking about another student this way?