Part 13

I could not wrap my mind around the fact that Blaze got expelled.

I still had no idea why- none of us did. That night, she laid in her bed, headphones in. World out.

Word had spread about her expulsion. We also had no idea when she was leaving. I assumed the next day- finals were on a Friday, and we didn't have class the next day because it was Saturday.

I woke up that morning- and dread set in immediately. Blaze was expelled.

I felt my heart ache. And I hated myself for it.

I was the first one up- except for Blaze.

I got up to go to the bathroom, and she was packing clothes in a suitcase.

She looked like she hadn't gotten a wink of sleep.

Heart pounding, I paused in front of her as I walked by to leave the room.

"Blaze...when do you have to leave?" I asked her.

"Tomorrow. Today is my last day here." she said, not looking at me.

I took that as my cue to leave.

Blaze's expulsion was a topic of conversation. But everyone spoke about it lightly- like it was just gossip. I felt like I was the only one who this was cutting at deeply.

And I knew why. I just couldn't admit it.

At lunch I sat with Melina, Juliette, Samantha, and Violetta.

"What do you think Blaze did?" Violetta asked.

"Who knows and who cares." Melina shrugged, "She's not wanted here. And it's just in time for winter break for her to be gone."

I saw Juliette glance at me as Melina spoke.

Shut up. Shut the hell up.

"I just wonder where she will go." Samantha said, "I hope she lands on her feet."

"If she did something bad she might go to Valoria Upright Academy." Juliette said.

"What is that?" Melina asked.

"It's a University. But it's a University for those who have gotten kicked out of other schools. There is one in Valoria and Rockwell." Juliette said.

"I wonder if we will get a new roommate?" Violetta asked.

I felt my chest tighten. I didn't want a new roommate. I wanted Blaze.

The rest of the day went by as a blur. I decided to walk into town by myself and get some coffee. I was hoping I would see Blaze- but I didn't. I could not get her off of my mind.

I kept trying to tell myself that it was no big deal that she was leaving.

She hated me. Why did I care so much?

I shouldn't care so much.

At dinner, Samantha, Juliette, Melina, and Violetta decided they were going to go out to celebrate being done with the term.

"You're going out, Juliette?" I asked her.

She smiled at me, "It's a special occasion. Why not?"

"Good." I smiled back at her.

"Natasha, you're coming, right?" Violetta asked me.

The last thing I wanted to do was go out.

"No." I said, giving into myself, "I am absolutely exhausted. I'm going to stay in and read. Please have fun for me."