Part 18

The week after I saw Blaze I was on a high.

I couldn't believe this- Blaze Callanan was my girlfriend- I wasn't sure how I was going to ever explain this to anyone besides Samantha, but I figured I could put it off for now.

Samantha was happy for me. I told her that Blaze and I were officially together, and she was genuinely happy for me.

She encouraged me to tell my brother- who was going to be coming to visit this weekend. I told her that I would think about it. I had no idea how Maxwell would react to this news.

I knew it would be at least 2 weeks until I was able to physically see Blaze again. But we called each other on the phone during the week. I had to sneak into the commons room when no one was there and talk to her for even just a few minutes.

It felt scandalous- but also thrilling having this secret. Having Blaze be my girlfriend.

I did not know, though, what to do about Melina. She wanted to spend time together, as more than friends. I simply could not. I had to tell her that I was seeing someone. I figured I would tell her that I met someone over the winter break, and that we decided to make things official. I hoped she would understand.

On the Thursday night after I saw Blaze, I was on the phone with her in the commons room.

I was always sure to talk softly, but I had my back to the door. That was my mistake.

"My brother is coming to visit this weekend." I said to her, "How would you feel if I possibly told him about us?"

"As long as it is a secret from our parents right now, that is fine. It kind of makes me happy that you want to tell Maxwell." Blaze said.

Conversing with her felt so natural. Like we had never hated each other.

"He is going to ask you one thing though if he meets you- he is curious."

"What is that?"

"How it came to be that your name is Blaze. He thinks it is a cool name, but he wonders why you are named it."

Blaze chuckled, "Do you wonder as well?"

"Sometimes, yes."

Blaze laughed harder, "Don't worry. I'll tell you sometime. Do you like my name though or do you think it's weird?"

"I like it. I like the name Blaze a lot. A lovely name for a lovely girl." I said.

Then I heard a voice say behind me, "Natasha?"

Melina.

My heart started pounding.

"I have to get going." I said into the phone, "Other people are coming into the commons room who need to use the phone."

"Okay." Blaze said, "I'll talk to you later, Natasha. Goodnight."

After I hung up, I turned around to face Melina.

Her expression was one of pure confusion.

"Were you...talking to Blaze?" she asked me.

There was no denying it. She heard me.

"Yes, I was." I said to her. I was nervous.

"Why did you sound so flirtatious?" Melina narrowed her eyes.

I sighed. I had to tell her. "Melina, Blaze is my girlfriend." I said.

Melina's eyes opened up wide. "What are you talking about?"

"It just kind of...happened." I said. I didn't know what to say.

"So you've been essentially leading me on since we got back from break, knowing that you are into Blaze? Are you serious, Natasha?" Melina said. She was angry.