Part 29

The next weekend Blaze and I had a lovely dinner at her parents home.

Her parents home was a three bedroom, three bathroom home that had a darker decor vibe to it. The lights were very dim in her parents home, and they had a lot of Victorian style furniture.

Her mother and father still seemed to be in full support of our relationship.

At one point after dinner, Melanie, Blaze's mother said, "Natasha, would you like to help me fix some tea for everyone?"

"Of course." I said, getting up from my chair.

I felt slightly nervous. What did she want?

We went into the kitchen, leaving Blaze and her father in the dining room.

Melanie started a kettle on the stove.

She turned to me and said, "I must say...I am happy you and Blaze are back together."

I looked at her, "I am glad you approve. I am also very glad to be back together with Blaze. I really am."

"Blaze wouldn't want me to tell you this...but she was very sad this summer. I would hear her crying in her room.I know how much she missed you. When she called and told me you were at Valoria University she was thrilled." Melanie said.

"This summer was incredibly difficult."'I said, "One of the hardest times of my life as well. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her at school."

Melanie smiled at me, and then her smile slightly faded.

"I still have my concerns though." she said.

"About my parents?" I asked Melanie.

She nodded, "I just know they won't be happy about you two. And...I don't want my daughter getting hurt again."

"Can you please tell me what exactly happened between our families?" I said to Melanie, "I know a few things. But I want to know the story. And I trust your side over my parents."

She sighed, "It honestly is not even a long, drawn out story. Basically, your great grandfather was a politician, and my grandfather was as well. They were running against each other. It turned into a very bitter race. And...I'm not trying to put all the blame on your family. But your great grandmother and grandfather wound up making a plan to steal money from the campaign my grandfather ran. They also dragged our family name through the mud and made up terrible rumors. You know, I tried to settle things once with your mother when we were much younger, around your age. But she was not kind. She told me she would never associate with a Callanan. And people still feel that way. I do apologize because when Blaze was younger I told her that your family was bad and to not be friends with you. I should not have done that. But I was younger back then too- I was only 23 when I had Blaze. Natasha, you seem like a very sweet girl and I know how much my daughter loves and adores you. I just worry."'

I felt my blood boil hearing about what my family did to Blaze's. And how my mother was not kind to hers when she tried to make amends.

"Melanie...you can put all the blame on my family." I started to say, as she took the water kettle off the stove. "My parents are not good to me. Especially my mother. They make me feel like a disappointment every day of my life. The only family I truly have is my older brother. And if I ever had to choose between Blaze and my parents- I would choose Blaze in a heartbeat."

I was surprised when Melanie pulled me in for a hug.

I don't think my mother has ever hugged me.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart." she said, "I'm sorry your parents have not been good to you. I can even feel you being tense in my hug here."