Twenty-Nine.

29.

••••Four Months Ago

••••
Four Months Ago

"You're so silly! Haven't changed a bit." I said before bringing the mug of hot cocoa to my lips, blowing at the hot steam it produced.

He laughed, showing off the pearly white, straight teeth he so happened to be blessed with.

"And neither have you. Still the height of a leprechaun, shy but sassy at the same damn time and dimples so deep I could-"

"Aubrey. Don't start." I interrupted before he uttered something that would get his ass cussed out.

Niggas always gotta make shit awkward.

"I was going to say I could swim in them. You know, because the ocean is deep?"

"Th-The ocean?" He nodded. "Oh my gawwwd! You're so corny. That has to be the most horrible reference I've ever heard, Aubs!" I couldn't hold in the cackle that erupted from my mouth. He's always been corny.

I haven't seen Aubrey in damn near two years. He randomly sent me an instagram dm, making me aware he would be coming in town and that we should catch up.

At first, I had a whole excuse typed up as to why I couldn't make it but then I thought, it's just old friends catching up. I don't see why not.

It's crazy he picked the exact coffee shop where we met. I was actually a barista here. I loved my job and began to make regulars who would not only come in for coffee but to visit me for some conversation and laughs. It was usually a more mature crowd and I've been told I have an old soul which is why I've always felt comfortable around them and vice versa.

The wisdom they spewed out to me daily, I still kept a record of in my mind to this day.

Aubrey on the other hand was one of the fewer youngsters that came in a couple times out the week to get a danish and coffee. In the beginning, he use to try too hard to grasp my attention which led me to keeping my responses short with him.

I guess one day, his charmed worked and we ended up becoming really great friends. He eventually introduced me to some friends as of his as well.

The funny part is, him and Robyn even dated for a good while. Truth be told he wasn't ready for a woman like her, in my opinion.

"Okay calm down. It was not that funny." He spoke, rolling his eyes.

"No but for real, I remember when you were about 19, selling your food plates on Instagram. To perceive where you are today, it's amazing to watch. I also heard about your cook book becoming a best seller on Kindle. Congratulations, Nicki. I so happened to buy a few copies for the fam and I. I have to say, so far, the Jambalaya recipe is top two and not two."