Thirty-Six

TW: Mathew

______________________________

36.

Flashback 18 Years Ago••••

Flashback
18 Years Ago
••••

"I love you Soso."

"I love you to, BB!" The four year old responded to her sister, wrapping her tiny arms around her waist.

The two sisters were sitting on the cream colored abstract rug in the spacious living room watching one of their favorite animated series, The Proud Family, patiently waiting for their beloved mother to complete Sunday dinner.

"Get up Beyoncé, you're coming with me." Their father's voice boomed off the four walls, grasping his daughters attention from the east-end corner of the room.

Every moment they heard an once of the base in his tone, they knew it was rarely for a good reason. Fear ached throughout their bones not knowing what they had done wrong this time.

He didn't exude love to them, in private that is. However, in the mist of the doors of their church home, he pursued a profuse facade, forging as if the Knowles family were so perfect in the eye of the public.

Solange instantly began shaking, an reaction she divulged frequently whenever their father was anywhere near by. His face, let alone presence, was equivalent to a monster—a monster whom instilled fear, anger and anxiousness into her.

Beyoncé being her sisters protecter, gently pulled Solange into her lap and rubbed her back for comfort.

"C-Can Soso go?"

"Did I say Solange's name?" He questioned sternly yet, in a rhetorical tone.

Solange's movements continued to tremble, shoving her face into Beyoncé's chest as she emphasized her sniffles.

"It's okay Soso, I promise I'll be back, a-and we can play Barbies and color, or do whatever you want." Beyoncé whispered, consoling Solange.

"Want sissy stay." Solange voiced, barely audible.

"I can't Soso, I'm sorry."

Beyoncé felt a tad defeated, not having the alternative to remain home, where she'd rather be, alongside her baby sister.

Unlike Solange, Beyoncé didn't view Mathew as a monster, nor some rogue creature she felt no connection to. Beyoncé seen her father as what he was, a father who believed in discipline and questionable authority. At times, she did fear him but it wasn't extreme like her sister. She just knew to obey his demands and speak when spoken to, to avoid getting in trouble or causing abrupt ruckus.