[26]"happy birthday peter"

It was the next day and you woke feeling achy all over. You managed to drag yourself out of bed and to the bathroom closing the door. When you looked up to the mirror you realised why you hurt so much. Half your face was bruised. It was darker around your eye but got lighter the further it went, it probably started healing last night. The smaller cuts were gone but the bigger grazes remained as a dark red. You expected most of your body looked the same.
Taking off the bandages slowly as to not bother your muscles anymore took a long time. By the time you were done a small pile of slightly red fabric sat on the floor. You stepped over it into the shower.
It was nice, and warm. The stinging subsided after a few minutes so you washed your hair. The water dribbled down your face and images flashed in front of you. You could see Gianna slashing at the water and feel it pulling you in.
You wiped at your face and they were gone.
Taking a breath, you finished and got out. Luckily there were extensive first aid kits in nearly every room so you rubbed antiseptic all over. Hissing every time you went over a particularly deep cut. Then wrapped bandages around as much skin as possible until only your hands and head were showing.
With some struggle you pulled on socks , joggers and a long sleeved top to try and cover them.

You slowly walked into the kitchen to see your dads, Bruce and Wanda walking around. Steve and Bucky ran to you gently holding your hands and checking your face.
"I didn't know you were up you could have told Friday to get us"
"Your face looks sore how are you feeling"
"I'm fine really" you said solemnly.
After checking what seemed like every cut on your face they tried to get you breakfast. You ushered them to sit back down and started making cereal.
Bruce put a thermometer in your mouth as you got the milk.
When it beeped he came back and took it, talking As you sat down at the table "you're a little bit hotter than you should be but that's probably because you're still healing. Come and find me if you feel off ok?"
You nodded and ate a spoonful of cereal.

Wanda watched you silently from the other side of the table. She noticed you looked completely unemotional, your mouth in a straight line. Not wanting to invade your privacy and read your mind she assumed it was because you were tired and hurting from yesterday. She heard about the nightmare and wondered if you'd slept well.
She couldn't think for long as Tony walked in with a box full of decorations. "Everyone listen up! Today is the kids birthday he will be 15. Him and the other two should be here in a couple of hours so we need to get everything ready. Also these sofas need to be moved I've got a bouncy castle coming and it's too hot outside. Wanda are you still ok to make the cake?"
"Yes I've got all the ingredients ready don't worry about it" she gave a warm smile and everyone grabbed things from the box and went in different directions.
You still sat eating your food. It hurt every time you lifted the spoon to your mouth. The bandages peeked out from the neck line of your top making you itch.
You were distracted by Tony leaning over you from behind and poking at the cuts. "Do any of them feel infected?"
You shook your head.
"Did you put more antiseptic on them?"
You nodded.
"Ok" he kissed the top of your head and left, shouting at people to hurry up.
You also left silently not long after leaving Wanda sat by herself watching the chaos of others putting up birthday banners.
That was when she glanced down and noticed there was still food left in your bowl. She thought that was strange but thought you'd probably put too much in there to start with. Even with your super soldier appetite.

You finally made it back to your room and slumped to the floor leaning against the bed, aggravating the wounds on your back. You pulled out a readily wrapped present and card from under the bed and started writing.

In the main room people were blowing up balloons and Steve was helping Tony put up a banner. "I'm surprised you're here cap, shouldn't you be coddling your kid like you usually do".
Steve gave him a stare, "I think she wants to be left alone. She didn't say anything during breakfast and she went back to her room as soon as she was done".
Now Tony stared at him, "do you think it's because of the nightmare or the nearly getting hypothermia".
"What how do you know about the nightmare"
He replied trying to sound cocky but it just sounded sweet, "Um because I have Friday let me know every time a kid has a nightmare. Have done since her and Peter started staying here, you know just incase"
"Oh" Steve didn't know what else to say.

Once you were done writing the card you hobbled into his empty room and placed it along with the present on the bed. You weren't much use putting up decorations seeing as your body didn't want to move so you stayed in his room and played the racing game.
A long time later when your hands hurt too much you stopped and walked downstairs.
Walking through the hallway you saw May, Peters aunt. "Hi May"
"Oh y/n I just got here I didn't know where to go" she paused and placed her hands on either side of your face. "Are you ok hunny? This looks painful"
You nodded with a small smile, "I'm ok I'll show you to the others, I think they're in the main room".
She went right over to help Wanda finish the cake as they would be back from camp any minute.
You saw Bucky sat on a chair so walked over and leant against him, putting your head on his. He gently lifted an arm around your waist and held your hand with the other. You closed your eyes and buried your face into his hair and stayed there for a few minutes. It was soft and warm against your cheek relaxing you.
"Are you ok sweetheart? Are you hurting?"
You grumpily shrugged your shoulders in response.
"Ok come with me" he took your hand and lead you up to his bathroom.
"I got this gel from Bruce it's really expensive so there isn't much. Where hurts the most?"
"I don't know. I guess my back and shoulders maybe"
He helped take off your top as you couldn't lift your arms high enough and gently pulled back some of the bandages to rub the cold gel on.
You let out a sigh of relief as the aches immediately disappeared. You managed to put your top back on by yourself this time and gave him a proper hug thank you.

Downstairs the kids had arrived back. They walked into the main room to be greeted by everyone. "Happy birthday Peter!!" They yelled.
He ran forward and hugged May and Tony, "thank you so much! This is so cool".
The twins ran up to their dad who they hadn't seen for four days. "Mwah mwah" he sounded as he kissed each of their heads. "Did you guys have a good time?"
They nodded, "yea it was fun, where's y/n? Is she ok?"
Just as they asked you appeared in the hallway. "Y/n!" All three of them yelled whilst running towards you.
They embraced you and held you tight, all you could do was let them. "Happy birthday Peter" you mumbled into someone's shoulder making everyone laugh and step back.
"Thanks! Oh by the way Lila brought your stuff back I think happy put it in your room"
"Oh thanks. I forgot about that"
"Can we eat cake now?" Cooper asked, jumping up and down on the spot.
You all ran back into the main room and sat around the table, all the adults stood behind you and Wanda brought out the cake, candles shimmering.
"Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to Peter
Happy birthday to you"
The candles flickered out followed by loud cheers. "What did you wish for Peter?"
"I'm not telling you!"
More laughs ensued and the cake was cut up. cooper was very impatient basically inhaling his slice but you picked at yours, not feeling very hungry. 

Eventually Tony blew up the bouncy castle right where the sofas used to be. It took up nearly the whole room with its size and noise. They were much louder inside.
The boys ran straight on but Lila stayed. "Did you want to go on the bouncy castle?"
"Not really" you shook your head, "my body hurts I'm gonna stay here and eat my cake. You go on I'll play some games later". You gave a reassuring smile to let her know it was ok.
"Fine! But we have to talk later about what happened. We're a bit confused"
"Me to" you sighed "we definitely have to talk later".

You watched Lila jump on straight at cooper making him scream and fall back. He tried to fight her but Lila had him pinned. Peter showed them all sorts of flips and the other two tried to copy, surprisingly they were quite good. After stomaching as much cake as possible you sat back and watched it bounce up and down, eventually drifting into a daydream.
You were startled by a hand on your shoulder and turned to see Steve crouched next to you.
"Hey baby girl, are you ok?"
You just nodded and turned back to watch the others. Now Clint had joined in, jumping right next to each kid so they bounced even higher.
"You want to go join?" He asks softly interrupting your thoughts.
"Can't jump"
He went silent for a moment before placing an arm under your legs and as carefully as possible, lifted you up.
"What are you doing?"
He didn't answer and instead walked over to the bouncy castle and sat near the edge with legs crossed. Gently placing you on them facing him.
You looked up with a puzzled expression and he couldn't help but give you a tiny kiss on the nose.
You could feel yourself starting to bounce slightly and a small smile crept onto your face. Steve noticed and bounced a bit harder, this time you grinned. It didn't hurt that much with your dad protecting you so you leant into his chest. Laughing every time he bounced you both again.
Bucky watched and felt relief flood through him when he saw those smiles. You had an awful twenty four hours and Steve had an awful four days when you were away so it was nice to see you relax.

Despite still not being healed you felt a bit better. The dream still lingered in your brain but it got foggier and harder to remember the more you were with your family.