[28]"why are we smothering the children?"

That evening everyone went to their own rooms to bed, it had been a very busy day with peters party so you went straight to sleep.  Peter opened his door and put his pyjamas on noticing the console remote had been moved. He assumed you'd been in here and that was when he noticed the present and card on the bed. Opening the card first he grinned as he saw a picture of Spider-Man hanging from a bunch of balloons over New York. Inside was a limerick you'd written for him,

'there once was a boy from New York
Who everyone thought was a dork
He got bit by a spider
And became a great fighter
Who sent lots of bad guys to court.
Happy birthday Pete
Love ya,
Y/n'
*(Not my poem)*

He chuckled to himself and held the card, admiring it for a few moments longer before getting up and pinning it to the wall above his desk. He came back and opened the present. "No way" he whispered to himself as he stared down at a Death Star Lego set. He beamed, turning it around to see pictures of all the characters included on the back. He so wanted to rip it open right there and start building but he managed to set it down and get into bed, closing his eyes.

A few hours later you began to get restless in your sleep. A loud knock sounded on the front door quickly turning into thuds that echoed through the building. Wanda walked up with a concerned expression and yanked it open to be met with a gun. Another loud bang echoed as she fell to the floor and soldiers stepped over her, filing in. You watched from the end of the hall as they spoke Russian between them. "You go that way, you go that way and you go up to the next level. Shoot anyone in the way, we want the girl". You gasped and sprinted away as they unknowingly walked towards you. FRIDAY wasn't answering to warn the others and you couldn't find them. Footsteps could be heard from different directions so you had no choice but to climb into a small vent. It was closed at one end so the only way out was the same way you got it, you were trapped. Two faint gun shots could be heard and you tensed trying not to sob out loud. The footsteps got closer and stopped right in front of the vent, you could see shadows between the bars so you held your breath trying not to make a sound. It shook and started to creak open.

You sat up in bed gasping for air, silently panicking. You'd had another nightmare but this time you didn't shout out or scream thankfully. You didn't want to worry anyone especially since you had two in a row. It hadn't been that bad since you were small. Taking deep breaths you rubbed your shaking hands over your face still trying to force the images out of your head. It was a while before you could stand and get clean pyjamas, dropping your sweat ridden ones on to the floor.
You decided to turn the tv on to relax as there was no way you could get to sleep, still wide awake from the dream. You were midway through the second film when your eyes started to get droopy. Every time your head dropped it flung back up fighting it.
It was frustrating, you were so tired but couldn't sleep, then you had an idea. "FRIDAY?" You whispered.
"Yes miss rogers-barnes" he answered quietly.
"Is everyone safe?"
"Ive scanned the building and everyone is safe and unharmed in their rooms. All windows and doors are sealed shut and there is no detection of anyone on the perimeter".
"Thanks FRIDAY" you mumbled instantly feeling the exhaustion hit you.

You awoke to see it was already 9:30 in the morning so dragged yourself out of bed to get dressed and change your bandages again, putting less on as some had healed. You walked straight down to the lab putting the dirty pyjamas in the laundry on the way. You were glad to see it was empty and went straight over to your most recent project. A very intricate robotic hand similar to Bucky's but lined with blue pieces of metal, sat on a stand plugged into a computer. You sat in the chair and put a thin white headband on your head. It beeped as it connected and the arm lifted. You thought about each finger lifting up one by one and the arm copied. Anything you thought of the hand would do, you tested it picking up different objects but it struggled with the pen. Opening the laptop full of code you scanned through it to try and find a fault anywhere, tweaking small sections.