Chapter 13

After the mission, all of the agents returned to the Triskelion building. Steve didn't talk to the two women the whole flight back and then when they landed, he stormed off. Presumably looking for Fury. After around five minutes of Steve being in Fury's office, Charlie was called to accompany both Steve and Fury to the basement. A little bit suspicious but okay.

The basement turned out to be the home of what Fury called Project Insight. Charlie didn't really know what Fury was talking about most of the time but she did pick up a few things. It was a project designed to eliminate threats before they even happened, therefore making the world safer. Charlie was a bit iffy on the ethics of the situation but she didn't mention it, however Steve did. Steve was all about freedom of the people, and watching what everyone was doing all of the time didn't really give people freedom. 

Charlie followed Steve out of the basement and watched as he got his motorbike ready.

"You still riding that rickety old thing? I'd have thought that it would have broken down or exploded by now." Charlie leant on the door frame of the garage.

"You know you should have told me that Fury had a different agenda on that mission." Steve spoke while putting on his jacket.

"I didn't know man." Charlie sighed.

"Then why were you just sat there on the ship? Why didn't you tell me over the coms?" Steve leant on his bike.

"Firstly, Rumlow and his morons could hear me and I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. And secondly, I do trust Natasha, and to some extent Fury. As soon as I figured out that he gave Natasha different orders, I suspected that it was for a valid reason. So I just let Natasha get on with it. The sooner she was done, the sooner we could go and help the hostages." Charlie walked towards  Steve. "I know you're still trying to get to grips with this whole 21st century thing, but I'm sure Fury has everybody's best interests at heart. And if he doesn't, then I give you permission to punch him. I don't have the authority for that, but I give you permission anyway."

Steve smiled at the women in front of him, "I'm going to head home and just think about everything." 

"Call me if you need anything, and if you don't know how to call me Google it." Charlie laughed at the man's offended face.

"I know how to call you." 

"Sure you do." Charlie patted Steve on the shoulder.

"I hate you." 

"You know that's the second time that somebody has said that to me today." Charlie turned around and started to walk back through the door.

"Maybe that's telling you something about yourself." Steve started his bike.

Charlie turned around to face the man who was now ready to set off. "Yeah, I hang around with people who don't appreciate me." Charlie had to shout over the humming of Steve's engine.

Steve smiled at the woman and then moved out of the garage. Charlie watched as the blonde man got smaller and smaller until he disappeared into the distance.

 -

Charlie made her way out of the shower and dried off her hair. Once she was dressed into some comfier clothes she decided that she would have a nap. After around an hour, Charlie was woken up by a door crashing open. 

"Get up, Fury has been shot." Natasha told Charlie and then rushed back out of the room.

"What?" Charlie didn't have time to think, so she grabbed her shoes and sprinted down the hallway towards Natasha.

Natasha drove as fast as she could, breaking many laws in the process. Whilst on the way to the hospital Charlie put on her shoes and texted Maria. She got no response but assumed that she would be waiting for them there.