Chapter 23

Charlie was lying on the hotel bed, watching the live coverage of Natasha's trial. As she suspected the council in charge of deciding the verdict of Natasha's hearing were all white males, which made Charlie incredibly angry at the inequality and fairness of the legal system. They were sat in a horseshoe shape in front of Natasha to seem intimidating and to get her to admit to her wrongdoings. There were endless amounts of reporters stood behind the redhead, to the point where Charlie could switch to another News channel and it would still be live coverage of the hearing, but from a different angle. 

"Why haven't we heard yet from Captain Rogers?" Charlie watched as the middle council member grilled Natasha.

"I don't know what there is left for him to say. I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently." Charlie could only see the back of her head as she answered the question.

"Well, he could explain how this country is expected to maintain its national security now that he and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus." 

"HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence." Charlie could hear the annoyance in the redhead's voice.

"Many of which you seemed to have a personal hand in telling." Charlie glared at the man on the TV. How could they not see that she was trying to make amends for her past? How could they not see she was fighting for them, not against them?

 "Agent, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel given your service record, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary. Not mouthing off on Capitol Hill." Another member of the council spoke up.

"You fucking shit!" Charlie stood up and shouted at the TV. "Don't you fucking dare!"

"You're not going to put me in a prison. You're not going to put any of us in a prison. You know why?" Natasha stated to the council.

"Do enlighten us."

"Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we help make it that way. But we're also the ones best qualified to defend it. So, if you want to arrest me, arrest me. You'll know where to find me." Charlie watched in awe as Natasha stood up and walked out of the room.

"That's my girl." Charlie started to clap in the empty room, watching as the council member sat astonished at Natasha's dominant display. They could do nothing because she was right, the world needed the Avengers. And guess fucking what? Charlie was an Avenger.

-

Charlie was waiting outside the entrance to a cemetery. Natasha had messaged her and told her that Fury would be there along with Steve and Sam. 

She had been waiting for around five minutes when she spotted a redhead walking down the street holding a file.

"There she is." Charlie smiled as Natasha walked over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Can I just say that what you said in that hearing was incredible. I've never been so turned on."

"Really?" Natasha smirked.

"You really showed those old white fuckers."

Natasha chuckled at Charlie's antics and started to walk into the cemetery. In the distance they could see Fury, Sam and Steve stood around a grave talking. Once they got closer they could hear what they were saying.

"Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me, right here." Fury pointed towards the grave and it was only then that Charlie realised that this was Fury's. 

"You should be honoured. That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." Natasha alerted their presence to Sam and Steve. Fury had already started to walk away.