Twenty

Cailey pov

It's been a week since the confrontation with Ashton happened. I've been trying not to  think about it. I didn't need anything distracting me. Besides, today is Emma's birthday. She's four years old - an age she's been waiting for, apparently.

"Happy birthday emma!" I say walking into the kitchen. Emma was at the table eating scrambled eggs. Just like every morning.

"Thank you, sissy!" She says, mouth full. "I'm four!"

"Yep, you're four and fabulous," I say. "Are you excited for your party tomorrow?"

She nods. "My friends from school are coming"

And Kate - Ashton's younger sister.

"What are you guys going to do at your party?"

"I don't know yet.." She says. "Maybe play trolls!"

"You're not doing anything tonight, correct?" My mom asks.

"No"

"Great, because your dad is coming in tonight," She says. "And we have to bake the cupcakes and the cake for the party tomorrow"

"Okay" I nod.

We take Emma to school and drop her off, and go to the dental office. My mom seemed annoyed at me today, but what's new? I think I'm pretty well behaved compared to other 15 year olds.

I take my usual seat in the office and glance at my phone for the time. Not even 7 am - it's going to be a long day.

-

After work, my mom and I enter the house to see my dad already home with Emma. She was watching something on the television.

"Hey dad," I smile, hanging up my coat. "I thought you weren't coming in until later?"

"I wasn't," He says, giving me a hug. "But I managed to get an earlier flight"

"That's great. I'm so glad you're here!"

My mom, dad, and Emma all catch up for a bit and I decide to go upstairs and change out of my scrubs.

"So I was thinking," My mom announced as I came back downstairs. "We should go out to eat and then bake the stuff for tomorrow. How does that sound?"

My dad and I agreed, and Emma was distracted with her barbies. I don't think it mattered to her very much.

"Can we go now?" I ask. "I'm sorry. I'm practically starving"

"Well, i don't see why not"

We went out to eat at the diner by the rink. It wasn't very crowded at this time of day, thank goodness. As soon as we sit, I see Ashton walk in with one of my old friends. I had never wanted to sink in my seat more than I wanted to at that moment. I wished Kirby was here - but he's at practice right now.

My parents made light chat while I was too busy pretending to look at the menu. As soon as the waitress came and we ordered our food, I didn't have a choice but to look up. I just hoped Ashton didn't see me.

"So how are things going with Kirby?" My dad asks out of the blue.

"Great," I reply.

"Is he coming over tonight?"

"I think so," I say, trying not to look at whatever Ashton was doing. "It depends if he has a lot of homework to do after practice. He is coming over tomorrow for the party, though"

"That's great" My dad peps up. I'm glad they got along so well. "I didn't get to ask him when I was texting him earlier. What about Cole?"

"I think he'll come over too"