seventeen

I'm not sure if I would've ever considered using a wheelchair, but after lying on the couch for a week straight I couldn't think of anything more comfortable. Thanks to my grandmother for finding one on facebook marketplace.

"Okay, so what do you think? Now you can get around the house" My grandma asks watching me attempt to wheel myself around the living room.

"Oh, thank goodness. I thought I'd have to be her food slave forever" Jacob says letting out a sigh.

"I like it.. Jacob, don't make me hit you with a pillow" I say squinting at him. He shakes his head at me, laughs, and looks back down at his phone. "No, but seriously. I like it. Thank you" I say turning my head back toward her.

"Well. I knew you'd get uncomfortable after lying on the couch all day"

"What's up, family?" Cole announces bursting through the front door.

"..Cole, haven't you heard of a doorbell?" Jacob asks sarcastically.

"You know I used to live here," He returns back. "So, what's going on?" He plops on the couch next to Jacob. "Wow, of course you're texting Lanie"

"What, does he text her a lot or something?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"I've never seen a guy more in love" He teases making Jacob blush. "..Why don't you just ask her out on a real date already?"

"Oh I have. We're actually going out tonight"

"My man," Cole says as they exchange a fist bump. "You learned from the best"

I look down at my phone and see an incoming call from Kirby.

"Hello?"

"So can I ask you something weird?" I hear him ask and I turn my wheelchair so it's facing the opposite direction of them.

"Go ahead"

"So if I want to come over right now, is it fine if I just walk in your house? Like I know you can't get up or anything-"

"Kirby..yes, you can walk in the house," I smile at him. "..Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah. Cole kept me up late last night," He says. "So..is it fine if I come over in like 20 minutes?"

"Yeah of course! I'm excited already," I say. "I've got something to show you"

"Hm. Well, in that case, I can't wait then"

About twenty minutes later Kirby comes over. His reaction when he found out I had gotten a wheelchair was so cute. Obviously I want to get back to "normal" life. Mainly to see the boys play again and practice.

"So what do you think? I mean, do you like it?" He asks, moving a piece of hair out of my face.

I nod.

"What do you think?"

"Well. I mean, I really don't think I've ever seen someone look so cute in a wheelchair"

I blush at that. He's really good at making me blush.

"Do you think you're gonna come back to school soon?" He asks.

"Uhm. I mean. I don't want to," I say. "I don't know. I was actually thinking about finishing the rest of the year online. Just because..you know-"

He nods his head and I know I don't have to say anything else.

"What about next school year?"

"I don't know. Like, I've really been thinking about this for a while now and I think I might want to do the rest online"