Chapter 1

Mind Wellness Centre, Bandra West (Mumbai)

A man deeply engrossed in a file looks up on hearing the knock. "Come in." He said keeping the file on the table and sitting in a relaxed position.

"Good Morning Sidharth." A girl with a genuine smile on her face said entering the cabin. She was carrying a diary and a pen in her hand.

"A very good morning Shehnaaz." Sidharth greeted her back with a smile etched on his face. He gestured her to have a seat. She sat on a chair. Sidharth offered her water. She was about to decline but a stern look from him and she gulped down the whole glass.

"Mein kahi bhaag nahi raha tha. Na hi tum. Then why are you in a hurry. Shehnaaz, it is good to be professional but you need a calm mind and a healthy body for the same." He explained to her in a very simple yet heart-touching way. She hummed looking down.

"Ab bolo. Kya bolne aayi thi." He changed the topic seeing her unhappy.

"Umm vo mujhe yeh puchna tha kya mein aaj ghar jaldi jaa sakti hun. Actually I am not feeling well. Sachi Sidharth I am not making excuses." She asked hesitantly.

He became worried and asked, "Kya hua Shehnaaz? Kuch serious hai kya? Shall I take you to a doctor?"

"Nahi, nothing serious. Umm vo...I am having intensely painful period cramps. Rest karungi theek ho jaayega." She replied.

"Oh okay. Pakka na you don't need to visit a doctor." He asked again and she shook her head.

"Mein jaa sakti hun na." She asked innocently making him smile.

"Of course baba. Even if I deny na toh bhi jaa sakti ho mera bharta banake." He joked and saw her suppressing her laugh.

"Thank You." She said standing up from the chair and left his cabin. On entering her cabin, she packed her stuff and moved towards the main door of the hospital. She saw the receptionist taking to someone on her phone and blushing profusely. She has often seen her busy with her phone. She moved at the reception desk but the receptionist was still unaware of her presence.

"Excuse me ma'am. I have an appointment with Dr. Sidharth." Shehnaaz said and frowned when the lady asked her to wait for a minute showing her pointing finger. Shehnaaz again tried to gain the lady's attention but to no avail.

"Miss Tia Chopra you can sit at your home and use your phone 24*7 but not here in the hospital. You are not even attending the patients properly." She said angrily but made sure to keep her voice low in the hospital.

"Sorry ma'am. Vo mein...umm I was talking to...Actually it was important." Tia tried to defend herself.

"No excuses Miss Chopra. I don't want to know with whom you were talking. Neither I mind you talking to anyone nor am I gonna judge you. But no phones during work hours unless it is an emergency. Better be attentive from now onwards or I will talk to Sidharth regarding this." Shehnaaz warned Tia and exited the hospital.

Tia felt embarrassed as she was humiliated in front of the staff and patients. Though none could hear Shehnaaz but everyone can see that she was been scolded.

A nurse who saw all this came to the reception desk. Even before she could say anything, she heard Tia showing her anger by mumbling abusive words to Shehnaaz. "Who the hell is she? Mein kisi se bhi baat karun, kabhi bhi karun. Mera phone, mera recharge. Aayi badi."

"Arey relax yaar. Kyu itna chid rahi hai. Tu toh jaanti hi hai na iss Shehnaaz ka nature. Khadus hai ekdum." The nurse said to Tia.

"It's not about her nature Priya. She is not my boss na. Kyu ban rahi hai bewajah ki. Sidharth sir bolengen toh mein sun lun gi ek baar par not her." She replied.

"Chhod yaar. Chal mein toh tujhe hi bulane aa rahi thi. Lunch time ho gaya hai. Aaja ab." Priya said walking towards the canteen taking her lunch box. Tia followed her.

In the canteen, the hospital staff was having its lunch. Tia and Priya sat with Arvind, a wardboy and their friend. Arvind saw that Tia was upset and asked her about it. Priya narrated the incident on her behalf.

"Yaar tu bhi na kis arrogant ladki ko lekar apna mood kharab kar rahi hai. Vo toh aisi hi hai na humesha se. Zyaada tang kar rahi hai toh bol Sidharth sir se baat kare." Arvind consoled her.

"Nahi re rehne de. Faltu job aur risk mai aa jaayegi." She said panicking.

Sidharth while having his lunch called Shehnaaz. "Pohanch gayi tum ghar?" He said when she picked up his call.

"Haan abhi thodi derr pehle hi pohachi hun. Ab rest karungi." She said lying on the couch lazily.

"Shehnaaz get up and have your lunch first. Phir so jaana." He said sternly.

"Please sachi mann nahi hai mera." She answered.

"Shehnaaz I said get up and have your lunch." He said sternly and emphasising each word.

"Hmm...okay." She replied sadly.

"Please yaar bura mat maano. Mein isliye bol raha hun because you need energy. Soup mat pio agar achha nahi lagta toh kuch aur khaa lo. Zyaada pain hai toh mein aa jaata hun." He made her understand.

"Nahi, mein khichdi bana ne jaa rahi hun. Chinta mat karo. Bye." Shehnaaz said.

"Chalo bye. Take care and call me if you need anything." He said and hung up the phone.

She went to the kitchen and started cooking. "Why does he care for me so much? Aaj kal koi kisi ka itna nahi karta. Not even family then why does he? No Shehnaaz, maintain distance." She thought while closing the lid of the pressure cooker. Tears rolled down her eyes while thinking all this.

On the other side, Sidharth finished his lunch and then again started checking the file of a patient. While going through the file, he was reminded of someone. He took out his wallet and saw a picture of the person. His eyes turned misty. Keeping the wallet in the drawer of the table, he engrossed himself in his work.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

Note : - Namaste everyone. So the very first chapter of this book is up for y'all to read. Do tell me how was it? Is my writing good, average or bad? Help me improve myself in this skill.

Why Shehnaaz wants to maintain distance?

Whose picture do you think is there in Sidharth's wallet?

{Published on : Tuesday, 26 April 2022}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya