Chapter 21

Shehnaaz bought some snacks and juices for them. She sat there looking at the couple. Unknowingly, she was smiling looking at them. Deep was rubbing her back while she lay her head on his chest with eyes closed.

After sometime, they both looked at Shehnaaz.
Shehnaaz asked, "Are you okay, Shalini? Or shall we visit a doctor?"

"No, I am fine." Shalini replied and looked down. She was opening secrets about her life but she knew that it has affected Sidharth in some way. And she needs to correct it soon.

Shehnaaz offered them snacks and juice.

Shalini then continued, "I wasn't well after that day. I kept myself caged in my room with his memories. I was skipping meals. Even I forgot that I was pregnant. One day, he came in my dream and asked me to take care of me and our baby. I realized that I was doing wrong with our baby. She was our part. I started taking care of myself. When my parents came to know about my pregnancy they were flabbergasted. Not because they didn't loved her or Prithvi.
They were thinking as my parents. They were thinking that she will always remind me of Prithvi. They loved Prithvi like their own but they weren't even wrong to think for me. That time I used to think how can they think of my baby like that. Par ab mujhe pata chal raha hai ki mata-pita kyu sab kuch bhul kar apne bachcho ka sochte hai. Agar aaj koi mujhe kahe na I will always think of Prisha first."

"I understand. Aap please royiye nahi. I am not thinking anything wrong about your parents. Unke liye aap wohi chhoti si gudiya ho abhi bhi. And I bet they would be loving and pampering Prisha more than you. Beti se bhi uncha sthaan beti ke bachcho ka hota hai." Shehnaaz made her understand.

"Par pata hai, they wanted me to get married. They didn't ask me forget Prithvi but they wanted me to be with someone. Deep came into our lives then. He was a very jovial person but he was in pain. He lost his parents in an accident few months back. My parents asked me to marry him. I denied and we fought but eventually I lost. They were my parents. Achha chahte the mera, kayi log unke iss faisle ko galat way mai lenge. They simply thought as my parents, na uss se upar na uss se niche. But vo kuch galat nahi chahte the. I agreed to marry him and took a promise that I will keep my baby. Everthing was going good. He took care of me after our marriage, loved Prisha as his own and I realized that I was doing wrong with him. I neglected him and was only taking care of Prisha. Or I was drowned in Prithvi's memories. I decided that I will give our relationship a chance but I found myself engrossed in Prisha. Then I remembered Prithvi' s words Humare baby ko wahi badha karengen hum jahan mera aur Sidharth ka bachpan bita hai. And I decided to give Prisha to Sidharth so that she can grow up where her father's memories are still alive. Sidharth was angry with me when he learnt about Prisha. He was furious that I did not tell about Prisha earlier. He couldn't see her birth. He couldn't take care of me when I was pregnant. He thought he did not take care of the responsibilities his brother gave him. But the fact was I became distant to Prithvi's family and my parents after that day. He was angry with me and said, "If you don't want to take care of her, don't think that she doesn't have a family. I will take care of her. Don't ever try to meet her again." I asked him to take Prisha with him and tell maa-papa about her. He took her and then I don't know much about his personal life. I have been visiting their farm-house on a regular basis when Deep made me realise that I was doing wrong with my baby. To strengthen our relationship, I was going away from her which isn't good. Out of everyone in the world, she needs you. We can build our relationship slowly and gradually." Shalini cried hugging Deep.

"Initially, Sidharth didn't allow me to meet her but then maa-papa asked him to let me meet her." Shalini said after a brief pause.

"Aap bahut achhe aur understanding hai." Shehnaaz said to Deep who gave a small smile in response.

"Shehnaaz, I don't know what is your relationship with Sidharth but I can sense that it is deep and it is not the same due to me. I know mein sabko pareshaan karti hun. I hurt everyone : mumma-papa, maa-papa, Sidharth, Prisha and Deep. I know even Prithvi would be angry with me. He asked me to take care of everyone and maine hi sabko dard dia." Shalini said still crying.

Deep looked at her deteriorating condition and said, "Shalini, you were not in your correct state of mind. You were suffering emotionally and mentally. Yes, you did wrong with Prisha but you corrected your mistake. And no one hates you. They all understand you. Haan, Sidharth thoda jyaada gussa hai usko bhi mana lenge."

Deep hugged her till the time she became completely normal. He then gave her a glass of juice which she gulped as fast as she could.

She then took Shehnaaz's hand in hers and said, "I won't ask you to tell me everything in detail but just give me a hint that you and Sidharth were more than friends."

Shehnaaz nodded and said, "We were more than friends but never said this to each other in words."

"Ab keh do toh. Ab toh sab pata hai na tumhe. Jo misunderstanding thi mere aur Prisha ki wajah se vo toh ab clear kar di na maine." Shalini made her understand.

"Par mein kaise...everything is changed." Shehnaaz expressed her hesitation.

"Everything can be normal, only if you want. Chalo hamare saath." Shalini encouraged her.

"Ok." Shehnaaz said with hesitation.

Deep saw her fidgeting with her fingers still unsure of her decision so he said, "Shehnaaz, I have a younger sister. She is a college-going girl and trust me I see you as my younger sister only. Mere pe bharosa kar ke ek baar chalo. Jo hoga vo phir dekha jaayega."

"Why do you see me as your sister? I hurt you and your wife. I questioned your relationship." Shehnaaz asked him with moist eyes.

"Tumne jaan bujhkar kuch nahi kia hai. You were vulnerable. You have your own baggage of problems and past. I am no one to question that. But you know what you are really sweet. You apologised as soon as you realized your mistake. Aur rahi behan ki baat you are like Deepti to me. Deepti, my younger sister. Parents ko kho chuka hun ek accident mai. Kya pata unhone hi tumhe bheja ho mere aur Deepti ke liye. Jaise unhone Shalini ko bhi bheja hai hamare liye." Deep cleared her doubt.

Shalini and Deep took Shehnaaz with them. She was sitting in their car looking outside.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - Namaste everyone. Your views and criticisms are welcomed.

{Published on: Friday, 9 February 2024}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya