Chapter 8

The Crown Prince's desire was to become emperor.

If he ascended the throne, it meant that he had already fulfilled the goal he had set out to achieve through Roxana.

Then Roxana's value to him would have disappeared.

Even now he still needed her support, he treated her like trash. So, what would happen if he no longer needed her?

From the way he had been acting, it was obvious that he didn't need to ask.

Would he see a fiancée who was only a pretender to his lovely lover? When the time comes, Roxana's hopes will be shattered and her sacrifice will return to betrayal. It was I who was now living Roxana's life.

In other words, I had inherited her misfortune just as what she had enjoyed had become mine.

Now, the reason I was not so bitter about the Crown Prince was because I did not love him.

And because I didn't love him, I didn't have false hopes, and because I didn't have expectations, there was no disappointment.

When the Crown Prince became Emperor and I became Empress, I would remember the past like we were colleagues.......

'It's possible that I might get thrown away.'

I silently looked at the glowing fireplace.

In fact, my first thought was to visit the Crown Prince and try to negotiate with him.

If I say that I won't demand anything, and that I'll stay quietly, I think we can live in peace without causing any harm to each other.

But soon I realized it was a ridiculous idea.

Once the Crown Prince took the throne, there would be no reason for him to hold on to me any longer. What could I possibly negotiate with him for if there was nothing in my possession that he wanted?

So, in my opinion, there was a much greater chance that it would be the latter than the former.

I didn't dare to put my future life on uncertain possibilities, but this mansion was also unfamiliar to me.

Because there were more than one or two people in this mansion who had hostile intentions towards me.

And the people in this mansion were the Duke's people.

The only people who could be called Roxana's people were her nannies and maids, but they were, well, ....

It went without saying.

If I'm not comfortable remaining in this mansion, and I'm not comfortable entering the palace, what am I supposed to do?

The thought of my future was very tiring, if only for a moment.

If I imagined a dark future, I had no appetite and I had to get up, unable to touch the feast that was placed in front of me.

Back in my room, I was looking out the window in a daze when Annie brought me a tray with some light treats.

It seemed to bother her that I had barely touched the food earlier.

When I faced the ignorance and hostile glances directed at me, my heart hardened instead, but I was strangely touched by the good-natured attention.

I was grateful for her concern for every little thing, and ate the snack she brought me.

Despite my lack of appetite, the snack was delicious. The bite-sized cookies looked and tasted wonderful.

The tea that came with it was also fragrant, and the sugar added to it made it taste sweet, which wasn't bad even though I was not a big tea drinker.

Finally, the macarons filled with buttercream were beautiful in color and tasted good.