Chapter 20

"Is that so?"

I replied in a hard voice with a cold, stiff expression on my face.

I had gone to great lengths to urge reconciliation, but since the other side refused, there was no need for me to be any more obsequious.

I didn't know how my current appearance was reflected in the eyes of the Crown Prince.

His complexion darkened even more as his gaze met mine.

At the same time, the image of the Crown Prince, who was now in front of me, overlapped with the image of him accusing and treating Roxana coldly in front of Claire.

A sneer came to my mouth as I saw him looking as if he was the one who was hurt, even though there was another victim.

When I thought of how he treated Roxana, and how much she suffered because of it, I hated the man in front of me and felt unpleasant spending time facing him like this.

I was just about to stand up when I realized that if I faced him any longer, my earlier decision to stop making things worse might be in vain.

"I think you misunderstood me enough...We're not lovers."

I frowned.

'You don't sound sincere in your excuses.'

The Crown Prince was adamant, knowing that I didn't believe his words one bit. I quickly wondered if his words meant that they were not officially dating.

Expressing affection and love for each other, taking sides, and giving gifts were not things that only lovers could do. Hugging, kissing, and other skinship activities were not necessarily reserved for lovers.

I didn't completely believe what the Crown Prince said, but even if what he said was true, nothing changed.

In order to favor Claire, the Crown Prince treated his fiancée coldly and neglected her. If he had given Roxana even half the attention he cared for Claire, Roxana would not have been as broken as she was.

At the end, when she came up with a wish for her own death, her heart became heavy as if she had put a big stone on her heart.

"..."

I made no reply to the Crown Prince.

Then he continued to speak with a nervous look on his face.

"I am sincerely sorry that I have been so neglectful of you lately. But you're only nominally engaged to me? What the hell does that mean?"

Roxana loved the Crown Prince, so he was her only betrothed, but he had no love for Roxana. So I guess it's hard to find a word that can define their relationship more than nominal fiancée.

But the expression on his face as he questioned me was full of shock, as if he had not heard me. When I stared at him in silence with furrowed brows, he said as he took my hand.

"I have never, not even once, thought of you in that way."

He spoke firmly with his eyes fixed on me.

"Roxana, you are my fiancée. No matter what happens, that fact will not change. Don't forget that."

I gently withdrew my hand from his grasp and replied.

"Is that so?"

The Crown Prince was disappointed by my reply. Did he really think that I would be moved by such words?

I sighed inwardly.

I thought to myself, It would have been so much better if it was Roxana who was listening to those words instead of me. When I didn't show any more reaction, the Crown Prince asked me with a wry smile.