Chapter 12

***

In fact, unlike what Stephen knew, Roxana didn't hate festivals. She actually liked them.

No matter how extravagant the banquets held at social gatherings were, festivals held in the city had a different appeal.

We all pursue the new and crave for freedom. The city in Roxana's memory was a mysterious, free-spirited place that did not need to be bound by heavy formalities and dignities. In the city, there was a rare sight to see people from the distant East and West. The wandering musicians and acrobats performing throughout the city, the roadside stores, and finally the spectacular fireworks that lit up the night sky on top of the hill were so enchanting to watch that it brought tears to my eyes.

Festivals were usually attended with families or lovers.

However, the Duke, who spent most of his time on the battlefield and in the office, never went to the festival with her.

Roxana didn't want to spend an awkward time with her cold father either.

She had bravely suggested to the crown prince that they go to the festival together, but he refused, saying that had to work a lot lately and it was difficult to coordinate their schedules.

In the end, Roxana went with the maids to see the festival.

The maids tried to keep her in a good mood, and Roxana's spirits were lifted by their efforts and the unusual sight she saw for the first time in her life.

But her happiness did not last so long.

And, as usual, it was the Crown Prince and Claire who turned those happy memories into a nightmare.

**"

A few months ago, Roxana and her maids visited East Hill to watch the fireworks.

East Hill was a famous tourist attraction because it had a beautiful natural landscape with wild flowers in full bloom and they could see the streets below.

Not long after she climbed up East Hill, people started setting off fireworks from the city. The fireworks at the top of East Hill were indeed beautiful.

The spring breeze on the tip of her nose was refreshing and the fireworks were diverse and spectacular.

"It's beautiful."

As Roxana looked up at the evening sky in admiration, the maids at her side chimed in.

"I know. I think this year is more spectacular than last year."

"It's a shame we can't see it often."

Roxana replied with a pleasant look on her face, keeping her eyes on the sky.

"That's why it's more special."

It was that time when they spent a peaceful moment admiring the fireworks.

Roxana spotted a lover couple at the bottom of the hill, surrounded by knights. The two were dressed in commoner's clothes, but the number of knights guarding the area showed that they were not of low status.

As they watched the golden fireworks go off in the dim evening sky, they kissed, not caring who was around them.

East Hill was a famous landmark frequented by lovers, as there was a popular belief that if they watched the fireworks with their lovers during the festival, their love would come true.

Roxana could also pray for their happiness. The only problem was that the man was her own fiancé.

Why would the Crown Prince, who had refused to go with her on the pretext of busy political duties, be here with Claire?