Chapter 46

Lady Flynn and Lady Evans.

I don't know whose mind the two of them came up with, but it's never pleasant to be taken advantage of by someone.

Suddenly I lost my appetite, so I put down my teacup.

I didn't even want to touch the delicious looking snacks in front of me anymore.

I had no intention of siding with them. But I also didn't feel the need to stop them.

Roxana's harassment of Claire didn't happen a day or two, and it would be even weirder if I stepped up and helped her. With today's events, people may assume that I am a selfish person who leads or stands by injustice.

But even if I were to step forward and help Claire, it would seem I was trying to please the Crown Prince.

Then people will either make a fuss that I have no self-respect, or they will try to find the hidden agenda behind my actions.

Even if I do help, I will only be misunderstood and suspected rather than thanked, so why would I want to go through the trouble?

In the end, no matter which way I choose, I cannot avoid people's condemnation.

Being vilified for doing nothing was still something I wasn't used to and it was frustrating. Still, if I had to choose between the two, I would rather be an evil woman who torments an innocent young lady than become a servile woman without pride who tries to please the Crown Prince.

"Rumors have been spreading among the people lately."

"Rumors?"

"I'm sure everyone here has heard it at least once."

".....?"

The smile on Lady Flynn's mouth deepened as Claire made an expression of not knowing what she was talking about.

"It's rumored that Lady Dana is staying at home so as not to show that she was abandoned by the Crown Prince."

"....!"

I furrowed my eyebrows. Even Claire's face hardened at Lady Evans's insult.

"Lady Evans, you're going too far. If you invited me to insult me, I'll leave now."

"What are you so angry about? I'm just telling you what I heard."

"I can stand it when you insult me. But it's outrageous, and I can't stand it when you talk nonsense about the Crown Prince."

Claire eventually couldn't take it anymore and rose from her seat.

The smile had gone from her face. However, her tone was calm and her behavior did not seem impatient.

On the one hand, she looked amazing, remaining as calm as ever in the face of various insults.

I averted my gaze and locked eyes with Lady Evans, who was sitting in front of me. She spotted me and looked at Claire again, her eyes sparkling as if she had just discovered a prey.

I frowned a little in discomfort.

"That's funny, Lady Dana. The Crown Prince's fiancée is standing still, what are you so passionate about?"

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. His Highness and I are just......"

"I understand your impatience, but isn't it a bit much to hold a banquet and deceive everyone by selling His Highness' name so that we would come?"

"Deceive? It seems that there is some kind of misunderstanding. "

"Lady Dana, it's a dirty trick. No matter how hard you try, it doesn't work, so are you trying to deny it now? "