Chapter 23

Claire hoped that he would understand her injustice. But his expression didn't falter in the slightest. Claire opened her mouth in a trembling voice.

"There must be a misunderstanding....."

Her pride was badly damaged.

Princess Lillian was fortunate to be born into a prestigious family, and she was a foolish woman who knew nothing. She never thought, and her personality was so bad that she dug her own grave every time.

Claire could be sure that if she was born into a family as lovely as Roxana's, she would never let anyone treat her like that in the society.

But, she couldn't believe she was being put to such shame by such an ugly woman....... But the Crown Prince spoke with conviction for some reason. If she didn't want his heart to leave her, she had no choice but to bow down now.

It was the first time that the Crown Prince sided with Roxana. Claire was perplexed by the situation she was experiencing for the first time, and it was lonely and insulting.

"Whatever the reason, never do it again, and if you do it again, I can't protect you either."

The Crown Prince's voice was more decisive than it had ever been before.

"Your Highness!"

Claire's eyes widened in surprise.

The Crown Prince stared at her with a frown.

When his cold eyes turned to her for the first time, Claire was speechless.

Eventually, the tears that were building up in her eyes streamed down her cheeks.

"Really... it wasn't like that....."

Her tears added a hint of weariness to the Crown Prince's face.

After seeing the tears of his mother, the Empress as a child, the Crown Prince was vulnerable to the tears of women. So, in the past, when Claire cried like this, he would comfort her with a troubled look.

But today, perhaps because was already exhausted, he didn't feel any special emotion when he saw her tears. He sighed deeply, then forced himself to raise his lips and smile.

"'I will tell Ethan to prepare dinner for you. You can eat then go."

"What about Your Highness?"

Claire asked in a watery voice, wiping away tears as the Crown Prince's voice softened again.

"I've got a lot of work to do, so I'll just eat in my office. Don't worry about it."

The Crown Prince's voice and tone were gentle and firm at the same time.

Claire whimpered at his words.

The Office was forbidden territory for her.

She had never stepped foot in it yet, and the Crown Prince had told her that she was not allowed to go in or out of the office. So these words now meant that she should not bother him any further, stay meekly, and then leave.

Normally, she would hold him back, act cutely, and express her disappointment, but for some reason it was not easy to do so today. She was nervous with an unknown anxiety.

"And from now on, restrain yourself from visiting me unexpectedly like this without any notice. It does not look good in the eyes of others."

"...!"

After finishing his words, the Crown Prince calmly turned away without waiting for a reply.

Claire bit her lip as she watched the Crown Prince disappear into the distance without looking back, leaving her alone, as if he didn't need her anymore.