Chapter 23.

Scott

The last twenty-four hours have been emotional, which would be an understatement. The thing I'm most grateful is that Ella and the baby are still both stable and doing good.

I've stayed by her side the whole time, I know that I need to be here for her and for the baby, but last night Remi kicked up a storm because she wanted to stay with me and her mom.

And as she screamed and kicked, while crying for me, it broke my heart. All I wanted to do was run too her, scoop her into my arms and hold her until her tears disappeared.

In that moment I felt like the world's worst dad, because I couldn't be with my daughter when she was upset, I know in my heart that she would be fine with Oliver and Amanda and that I needed to stay with Ella, but even knowing that my heart still broke because I couldn't be there for her.

"Hey, how is she doing?" Snapping out of my thoughts and looked up at the voice belong to my brother.

"She's stable and so is the baby...how's Remi?"

"She's okay, full disclosure though we had to bribe her with cookies and milk to go to bed"

Letting out a small chuckle because that definitely sounds like my daughter.

Shaking my head and let out a tired sighed, before meeting my brother's stare.

"I don't know what to do Ollie, my family needs me, but I can't be in two places at once. And I feel unless to anyone, to Ella, to Remi-;"

"Your right where you need to be Scott. Your wife needs you more and that doesn't make you a bad father. Remi, she has a village behind her, who love and wanted to take care of her. So, stop worrying about her, we've got it" he says.

"I know your right, but still-'" I sighed, rubbing my hands over my face for a moment and then looked at Ella sleeping, before turning back to Oliver.

"No buts. Remi understands too, she knows her mom needs you more"

"Thank you" I whispered.

"You don't need to thank me, we're family all of us"

Nodding my head knowing nothing more needs to be said between us, turning my attention back to Ella, taking her hand in mine and kissed it gently, letting her know that I am right here with her.

Ella was right it shouldn't be like this, we shouldn't be feeling fear, Remi should be excited waiting to meet her new brother and sister, not scared because mommy is in the hospital.

Tomorrow should have been Ella's baby shower that Amber and Amanda have spent weeks planning as a surprise for her.

It just shouldn't be like this, but this is life you know. Nothing goes to plan, and life has tough times for every person I know all of this, I just hate this for Ella because she's already been through so much this last year. And I know how much she has worried about this pregnancy and now here we are.

But I know that need to be strong for her, I need to stand tall next to her side as her husband.

~ ~ ~

"How are you feeling baby?" I as Ella, she woke up a couple of hours, sitting up in bed with a smile on her face, so I'm taking that as a sign that the medicine she's on is working.

"Stop fussing babe, I feel better, a lot better actually. Hopefully this means we're out of woods and I can go home" She's replies to me.

"Let's just take it one step at a time and see what the doctor says when she comes in to check on you" I argued.

I know that Ella wants to get home and get back to Remi. But I'll rather have her here with the doctors, so I know that her and the baby are being watched.

"Fine but either way you need to go home, shower, eat and sleep Scott"

Shaking my head firmly. I'm not leaving her.

"I leave when you leave"

"Babe, I love you, but you smell and you look terrible"

"In sickness and health Ella, that's what we vowed to each other. Which means I'm not going anywhere" I argued with her.

"I made the same vow to you. I need you to look after yourself"

Letting out a sigh, knowing that she won't let this go and I don't want to stress her out or argue with her.

"How about I meet you halfway, I'll go down to the cafeteria get a coffee and a sandwich and then come back and have a nap on that very uncomfortable looking sofa over there-;" I broke off and nodded towards the ugly yellow couch by the window.

After staring at me for a long moment she lets out a huff and nods her head.

"Fine..." breaking out into a smile and bent over to kiss her softly on the mouth.

"I love you" I smiled.

"Love you too, always and forever" she smiles back at me.

"Off you go then" She adds playful shoving me away from her, shaking my head and laughed a little before giving her one more kiss on her forehead.

"I'll be back soon"

She smiles at me and then I make my way out of the door towards the café.

Sooner I get a sandwich to make my wife happy, I can get back to her which is where I need to be.