Yellow Carnation

Yellow carnation - disappointment, sorrow, rejection.

Warning- This chapter may contain moments of madness and/or detailed explanations of pain, if you are uncomfortable during this chapter please leave and read something better. Thank you.

Theseus's bright hair shimmered like silver by the candlelight, the flame flickered with his every breath and movement of his quill. The warm sun had set many hours ago, casting the room into darkness and cool air flowed through the once-warm window, Theseus wore a white tunic and simple pants, his uniform had gotten too hot during the day and he hadn't the time to put it back on. The wind blew through his simple white shirt and cast a chill down his shoulder, although he did not care, nor did he pay any mind to it. His hair was tossed messily into a low hanging ponytail, though some thin strings still got in his face. Finally, he set his quill down and let the ink dry on the parchment before rolling it up and tying it with a green ribbon. He leaned back and sighed, looking at the many other papers on his desk. He cast a glance out the window and did not see the moon, Was it that late already?

He stepped towards the window and leaned out, looking for the moon. When he did not find it immediately he sat on the window sill and leaned back until he caught a glimpse of it past the rooftop of the west wing. He had not noticed the door open, nor did he hear the gasp of surprise until he felt a hand pulling him away from the ledge. He didn't struggle, he knew the long drop awaiting him if he did. The boy pulled him away and held him by the shoulders. He was very tall, taller than him. He stared at him with his Heterochromia iridum eyes, one emerald, and the other ruby. "Theseus! Please don't do that, you scared me. That was very dangerous," He said, his voice wavering. He briskly walked over to the ledge he pulled Theseus from and closed the decorative Casement windows.

Once Ranboo turned back he flinched at Theseus's scowl, although Theseus didn't have a lot of facial expressions, you could see the disappointment in his eyes and the fury of being touched was prominent in his glower. Ranboo shifted nervously and looked around the room. "Eyes on me." The prince said and Ranboo obediently shifted his gaze, "Why are you here?"

"Philza wanted to invite someone. If, you've got room, of course." Ranboo studdered, picking his nails as he stared at Thesus. Theseus sighed loudly, then made his way to his desk. He took out a notepad and looked through the list.

"All twenty candidates have been accounted for. Whoever it is will have to wait until next year."

"The Emperor said that if everyone was already picked, you were to give up your seat or someone else's for..." The boy trailed off, with a pained guilty expression on his face. Theseus scowled and leafed through the papers until he found one with the name Theseus written in his second-best handwriting. Theseus stood up and gave Ranboo the parchment, hiding his face. "Take this to the Emperor and tell him 'This Invite will not be going to the recipient.' Now, Who does he want?" He asked, barely keeping his anger under wraps. The boy shifted, unresponsive. The silence was all Theseus needed. He returned to his desk and began to fill out another invitation, this one looking even prettier than the others, even the Emperor's invite didn't nearly look as elegant as this one. Once finished, he tied it with a red and green ribbon and handed the scroll to Ranboo.

"Have fun." Was all Theseus could manage. Ranboo covered his mouth and looked at the beautiful parchment with a mix of sorrow, guilt, and wonder. Ranboo opened his mouth to say something, maybe an apology, but he closed it once he saw Theseus going back to his work with watery eyes. The tall boy stood from the stool he had taken and quietly left the room, once he closed the door he ran as fast as he could manage; his long legs barely carried him as his own eyes watered up from the sheer amount of penitence he felt, it didn't help that he felt Theseus's anger kept tightly locked in a cell that was about to break. One kick and it would all be released. On himself or on others, Ranboo couldn't tell but he knew not to anger him further. 

Theseus's hands shook with fury, I can't write like this... He thought, clutching the quill tightly. Why would the Emperor kick his own child off the list for... For a commoner like him! He set down the quill and took a deep breath, a light knock appeared on his door and Theseus sat upright, Was it the Emperor? No, he sleeps long before I. Is Ranboo back? He thought to himself, calling to the person outside the door that entry was acceptable. The door was gently pushed open. As careful as a mouse in a kitchen, Tubbo stepped in and closed the door as just gently as he opened it. He turned to Theseus, a worried expression on his face.

"I saw him leave your room, everything okay? What happened?" Tubbo asked, walking the thin line between a complete meltdown, and the boiling water under the calm surface of the sea that was Theseus's emotions. He took a breath and held it tightly as Tubbo pushed the stool Ranboo had sat on only seconds ago to Theseus's side. Tubbo balanced with the grace of a gazelle on the stool as he pushed a cup of steaming, dark golden liquid to the boy, the liquid shimmered with the color of honey in the candlelight; reminding Theseus of those same drinks he'd seen in glasses during celebrations, but he was never allowed any since it was "adults only."

Theseus pushed the invites to Tubbo and he counted them off as he went. "Nine-teen? Aren't there twenty? Where's your invite?" Tubbo faltered as Theseus sipped the hot liquid.

"What tea is this?" He asked, looking at it with mild shock.

"Magnolia Tea, Do you not like it?" Tubbo asked, reaching for the cup. The liquid had stopped steaming by now, it was warm but not too hot anymore. Theseus responded by lifting the cup and drinking it empty without any breaks. "What are you doing Theseus?! Where are your manners!" He heard the Emperor yell in his head, Shut up. He thought; You don't get to tell me what to do right now.

The cup made a small clink sound as it hit the table. Tommy wiped his mouth with his sleeve and smiled. "Next time we have tea together, Let's drink that." Tubbo smiled in response, but it quickly faded as he returned to the original topic. "Where is your invite, Theseus?" Tubbo addressed. Theseus ignored his rudeness and turned to face the boy on the stool.

"𝙸𝚝 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚏𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚖𝚢 𝚛𝚎𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝."