Arborvitae

Arborvitae - Unchanging friendship

• <———> •

Warning- This chapter may contain moments of madness, profanity, mentions of death/su!s!de, and/or detailed explanations of pain, if you are uncomfortable during this chapter please leave and read something better. This may also contain bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and too many commas. Thank you.

• <———> •

Don't be like yesterday, don't be like yesterday, don't be like yesterday! I pleaded into my head as I got dressed. As I ruffled my hair I noticed a mark on my head, red and hidden by my annoyingly long curls. I frowned slightly when I noticed it, How long has that been there? I brushed my hair away from my forehead and stared at the scar that decorated my hairline. It started a little higher than my right eyebrow and reached into my hairline, where it continued past where I could see. I suddenly became aware that it was noticeable if I moved my hair a specific way and embarrassment flushed my face. 

 I stared at myself in the mirror until my body started to look strange as if my own body was unfamiliar. The door opened quietly and I flicked my head in its direction when I heard it close. A lady, dressed in a black and green dress, looked at me surprised when I noticed her. "My prince, what a surprise! You usually don't notice me until I've reached your side!" She laughed, walking silently toward me. She had black curls that tumbled past her shoulder and a black and green fan she liked to swing around herself, although she'd not noticed I knew what each movement meant. 

 I took a step back from the stranger, but she continued to walk closer so I continued to step back until my back hit the wall and panic sank into my heart like a rock in a pond. With each step she took the nervousness grew until I started shaking. Who is she? What is she doing? Is she going to hurt me?  She grew closer slowly, closing the fan and touching it with her finger to say "I want to speak with you." But I saw the greedy look in her eye before the movement of her hand, and I don't think I've ever been more frightened by a lady. I watched her hand brush her dress pocket and I flinched in response, Does she have a knife?  A bead of sweat slowly dripped down my temple, was I so nervous I was sweating? My skin felt cold and damp on my bones, feeling uncomfortable and reminding me that other than the scar I was perfectly fine, but would I be when she was done? I can't risk it, I don't know her, I can't die here. I have to remember myself first!

 "WISP!" I screamed as my knees buckled and I curled into a ball, trying to protect my head if she wanted to hit me and I put my legs up, letting my thick leather boots protect my insides if she wanted to stab me. She looked at me strangely, drawing the fan over her forehead. The door flew open and the loyal guard rushed in and took my side eagerly. 

 "Prince Theseus! Are you alright? What happened?" He asked, watching my hands shake with fear and my widened eyes that seemed to be glossed with anxiety. I opened my mouth but nothing came out so I closed it and wrapped my arms around Wisp's shoulders. He reached around me and lifted me in his strong arms, balancing me on my own feet as he kept sturdy arms wrapped around my waist and back. He looked at the lady and said very softly; "Prince Theseus has succumbed to memory loss, unfortunately, I do not think he remembers you. I'm sorry, Marquess Beau." 

 She hummed in response and cast me a curious glance, "I'm assuming that's how he got that mark on his head?" She asked Wisp, ignoring me. I put a hand to my head instinctually and Wisp glanced at me. I saw his concerned look and it stung me with guilt, so I pushed back my hair and showed the scar on my face. He set me down on the bed and inspected the wound carefully. He let go of my hand and walked to my door, he propped it open and leaned out the door. He mumbled something to one of the guards and returned to my side. The lady continued to stare at me, she hid her face with her fan and left me in nervous curiosity as her icy stare cut deep into my soul.